Coral's not opening

JFairfax

I have a 55 gallon tank. The lighting system is Solar Xtreme High Output 448. The blue lights are one for about 8 hours a day and the white ones for about 6 hours. Live sand is about an inch (less not more) and I have 7 large pieces of live rock and then a large box dry rock that's been in about a week (can't remember the weight but it was HEAVY). The filtration is one dual filters set on top of the tank continuously flowing and a separate single filter (Penquin 350 and Penquin 200). The water movement appears good. I use distilled water and reef salt mixing 1 cup of salt per 2 gallons of water and let set for a day before I add to tank. The tank did cycle between 8/20 - 9/20 (I was, at that time having the LFS do the testing so I do not know the numbers but I went in 1 - 2x a week for testing). Since 9/20 I have added (too much) two clowns, then a Tang, then a small grouper. I also have some coral in the tank (again too fast but now trying to make sure i do EVERYTHING I can to maintain). I did a 15% water change yesterday (my third water change since beginning the tank. I began testing on Friday myself (at prompting of members here) and everything tested ok then Today after the water change I tested again and the phosphate is reading .5 I have posted about the phosphate on the beginners page but I am wondering if this would impact the Corals? Are they not opening because I moved them around? Or is there something else to consider.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
.5 Phosphates is bad.....you need to find out what is pushing that up. Corals do not like phates at all.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
You'll want to shoot for no phosphates for sure but you mentioned "I moved them around". when did you do this moving? Some coral will open up within minutes of moving some hours and even some will "pout" for days.

Is this applied to all the coral or just a few here and there or what?

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Als right dude. I've had corals not open for 3-4 days. Oh n for what its worth quit moving stuff around they feel outta place. Imagine I moved u n ur house around. It takes time.

I know u want everything perfect, we all do however corals choose their ideal location

Matts DROIDX via Tapatalk

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
One thing about the ocean is "stability". Things "change" very slowly in the ocean so anything you "change" in your tank (lights, flow, location, etc) can have a profound effect on your coral.
You'll learn like the rest of us our tanks tend to do better when we do less. Less is more but you have to keep things in check when you can.

I know we've suggested lots of diff pieces of equipment and most of it is really a huge PLUS for your long-term success in this hobby. Just don't get over whelmed because many of us got it 1 piece at a time as we could afford and understood why we needed it. Understanding WHY is as important as knowing you need it.