Corals next to each other

ed84g

Hi

My tank has got to the point where I am running low on space and want to start placing things in more permanent spots. At the moment I have just put things where they fitted and looked alright.

As my corals are growing they are encroaching on each other a little, I also want to keep things in check before they get out of hand.

Could I please get some guidance as to the placement of my coral, what should/shouldn't be next to each other, and which are predatory types that shouldn't be next to another.

Any help and pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

repuqena.jpg

a4asuquh.jpg

4ujyvura.jpg

egemaheh.jpg

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk 2

kyle4201

Im very interested also,, I keep my corals apart but tank looks spotty, I see all the TOTM pix and its like they r growing out of each other. Im always worried about stinging or killing and stuff. Will be following.

jsgarrido

nice tank !!!! the good thing is that you dont have an anemone cuz they would sting your corals. your corals look pretty spaced out for know, only the left top side looks pretty crowded but not to bad. the only coral that i think you need to worry is the hammer coral cuz they do sting but its in a good location . love the tank :smirk:

kyle4201

nice tank !!!! the good thing is that you dont have an anemone cuz they would sting your corals. your corals look pretty spaced out for know, only the left top side looks pretty crowded but not to bad. the only coral that i think you need to worry is the hammer coral cuz they do sting but its in a good location . love the tank :smirk:
And the torch coral?

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
My tank is over 2 years old and I still am moving corals around when needed. In my case, it's been trial and error. See what works for you. I have a torch that's never stung anything next to it; I have a galaxea with birdsnest next to it and never stung, not that that that these are usual, but just an example of everything we know doesn't apply every time and every instance.

ed84g

Thanks guys :)

I know that the hammers sting which is why I have kept them on their own island away from others. That is all I really know though. I don't have any personal experience either because I am soft and wear gloves!

If something does get stung, would it tend to grow away or around the stinger or would it have no effect and I would have to move it?

I have also wondered how people get so many corals so close to each other in tanks, it must just be clever placement.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk 2

Oxylebius

I have not found any one sources online that tells you the aggressiveness (stinging sweeper tentacles) of the coral. It has been a matter of looking each coral up one by one. The Borneman 2009 book does a great job of describing the aggressiveness of each coral and Liveaquaria also does a pretty good job of letting you know, but again you are gonna have to look the corals up one by one.

For sps, montis are not aggressive and should be given space away from more aggressive corals. Because of this many montis grow into one another. Stylos have 1 inch sweepers so these corals can be placed fairly close to other corals.

Here are two articles that discuss aggressive corals, but neither is all encompassing:
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog/coral-war-photos
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog/husbandry-coral-selection-and-companionability