Coralline algae

ZebbyD

Hi all

Since I set up my tank the only type of algae that seems to grow is brown and green hair algae. In my last tank I hardly ever had any brown or green algae and had huge amounts of beautiful red and purple coralline algae.

Is there anyway I could encourage the growth of this algae?

Thank you!

TheWeaz

Coraline comes and goes.. Its not sign of how well your tank is doing. But what glenn said.. Dosing Calcium will encourage Coraline to grow.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
In addition to dosing Ca and Alk, dosing Magnesium also helps coralline grow (as well as hard corals). Keeping Mg levels up is just as important as Calcium.

Bathtub

Ahhh now! I tested my magnesium today for the first ti e and found it to be slightly low... Is the best way to keep it up by water change or direct dosing? I ask due to the interaction with other elements....

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Water change will help but it seems like a lot of salts are low on magnesium. Dosing might be better/easier. I used Kent Tech M for a long time, but recently switched to Brightwell Magnesion-P, a powder that requires dilution with RO/DI water. Either of those, or one of the others should be fine. Here's a little calculator that helps with dosing quite a few (not all) of the main brands of Ca, Alk, and Mg:

Reef Chemistry Calculator

Water parameters:

Reef Aquarium Water Parameters by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Purple Tech and Purple Up may be good, as long as you don't have to adjust one water parameter more than another - in that case they're not the answer. I've never used either and have more coralline than I want!

ZebbyD

Feel free to send some of that coralline this way reefmack!

I think I'll have to start with something simple. I'd love to do more test and calculate how quickly my corals use it up, but due to work and travel I just can't. I am looking forward to settling in one place and doing all this.

Glad this seems to have started a very interesting thread. Coralline algae seems to be highly desirable and also one that comes with ease, or careful monitoring.

dankent

I was told to stay away from the magical purple up potions on the market ... only reason i was ever told why is that with the right balance of cal alk mag it will happen naturally ... so far this has worked .. alot more work then dosing purple up .... but i know that all three are tested and at the right level.

All purple up is , is a weak dose of calcium and aragonite .... might as well dose the right parts as long as your testing for them .. dont dose anything .. even purple up without being able to test for it. As long as the calcium,alkalinity,and magnesium are right.And phosphates and nitrates are low,coralline will grow.