Coralline algae on rocks disappeared

capital1983

Hi All,

about 2 weeks ago I bought 90lbs of uncured live rock from Dr. Fosters.

Saltwater Aquarium Rock for Marine Reef Aquariums: Fiji Premium Live Rock - Large Size

Once I cleaned them and added them to the DT to begin the cycle, I noticed that the coraline growth was diappearing off of the rocks. After 2 weeks of cycling, the rocks are now basically back to dead rock with a little coraline growth in some certain areas. I think it could be that he Ammonia splike may have killed off most of the stuff, and it could also be that the coraline algae was not used to the lighting conditions I have on my tank ((2) 250w MH 216w T5HO Actinic). This may have caused the coraline to die off as well closest to the light.

This is a FOWLR tank for now, so I guess its not that important, but eventually want to make it into a reef tank when I move. my question is, do I have to dose my tank with calcium to get teh coraline to grow back up by the lights or should I just let it run its coarse withe whatever growth is left in the tank and hopefully it will begin to cover the rocks in about 3-4 months time??

Last edited:

theplantman

Do not dose, if you do regular water changes there will be more than enough calcium for the coralline to grow back. And while it is nice to see the purple rocks, you will also get purple glass and powerheads and anything else in the display left uncleaned. LOL Good luck on the startup.

capital1983

Thanks Guys,

I totally agree on not spending extra money on additives I do not need. :turntable

I will just let it run its course and not worry about it.

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
I bought 50+ pounds of LR from a guy who was downsizing from a 200 to a 100 gallon aquarium. He had gorgeous rock, with mostly hot pink coralline algae. Well, it wasn't used to my lights and it all turned white. Blech! Well, it's been about a month and everything that was white is either deep, dark purple (much better than hot pink) or green, which is slowing converting to purple. It will come back. It just takes time.

capital1983

I bought 50+ pounds of LR from a guy who was downsizing from a 200 to a 100 gallon aquarium. He had gorgeous rock, with mostly hot pink coralline algae. Well, it wasn't used to my lights and it all turned white. Blech! Well, it's been about a month and everything that was white is either deep, dark purple (much better than hot pink) or green, which is slowing converting to purple. It will come back. It just takes time.

Thanks for the confidence booster Mayja....Glad i am not the only person that this happened to. I look forward to see what colors come back on the rock.

Hi All,

about 2 weeks ago I bought 90lbs of uncured live rock from Dr. Fosters.

Saltwater Aquarium Rock for Marine Reef Aquariums: Fiji Premium Live Rock - Large Size

Once I cleaned them and added them to the DT to begin the cycle, I noticed that the coraline growth was diappearing off of the rocks. After 2 weeks of cycling, the rocks are now basically back to dead rock with a little coraline growth in some certain areas. I think it could be that he Ammonia splike may have killed off most of the stuff, and it could also be that the coraline algae was not used to the lighting conditions I have on my tank ((2) 250w MH 216w T5HO Actinic). This may have caused the coraline to die off as well closest to the light.

This is a FOWLR tank for now, so I guess its not that important, but eventually want to make it into a reef tank when I move. my question is, do I have to dose my tank with calcium to get teh coraline to grow back up by the lights or should I just let it run its coarse withe whatever growth is left in the tank and hopefully it will begin to cover the rocks in about 3-4 months time??

At first it is exciting to see coraline grow, but it sucks when it spreads to the PH and glass sides. It will grow, give it time, enjoy not having to scrape or soak equipment in vinegar to get it off. Later on you will have to.
Soon you will be making a thread on how to get that stuff off!!!

rufus2008

My coraline did the same thing when I changed my lighting from t5's to led's, but i've been reefing for 4 years now and I know it'll come back.