Coraljunkie's 54g Corner Reef

Coraljunkie

I'm upgrading my jbj28 gallon to this 54 gallon corner tank. I'm keeping the reef scape pretty much the same but with a couple added pieces because imo it's one of the better scapes I've seen for small tanks. It's a glass tank and I'm not going to drill it because I won't have the need to, small bio load and consistent water changes has been more efficient to me than expensive equipment. I bought an acrylic sheet so I could builda weir in the bank of the tank soi can hide my heater and a couple bags of carbon.

Coraljunkie

I'm gonna place a 400gph pump, heater, and a couple bags of carbon back there. It's a work in progress but it's coming along. I still have to paint the side panels and touch up the stand a little bit

sirrealism

Hey Coraljunkie. Nice tank. Love corner tanks. nice job with the corner piece but I have to ask shouldnt you put slots at the bottom 2 so water can move through it? If not please explain your idea a little more

Coraljunkie

The water is going to overflow back there and there's going to me a 400gph pump back there with loc line attached to the return side which will put it back into the main part of the tank

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Will you have any way to "Tweak" the flow and water height with that design? Also you'll want to make sure whichever pump you put in there the "Working capacity" of that chamber is enough to maintain pump flow. If it goes OUT faster than it goes IN you'll have headaches from here on out.

Coraljunkie

I'm not sure what you mean by controlling the water height? But yeah there's a ball valve to adjust flow and as long asi keep the water topped off I won't have an issue

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
When you add an overflow to a tank you create a back area and front area. The front area (display tank) water will be a constant height determined by how fast the water flows through the grate area into the rear chamber. The rear chamber level will change with evaporation etc but with everything else remaining constant the front area will stay constant. When the pump turns off the rear chamber will fill and equalize with the rest of the tank (front will go down rear will fill up until about even).

This is exactly why Red Sea Max added the adjustable cup to the 2nd version of their RSM 130 tanks. This adjustable cup allows you to tweak the level of the water in the display tank ever so slightly.

Coraljunkie

I'll be running a cover over the top so evaporation will be minimum also I do consistent water changes so I don't think I'll have an issue

sirrealism

I see what your saying and doing but I want to add that any evap will effect the level in the back. Since it looks very small "Maybe 2 quarts" I personally think it will cause you issues. Its your tank and you know what your doing so My hats off to you as I really like it but I do see that your going to have to add top off water maybe 2 times a day to keep it full. where if you just put a couple small slots in the bottom there would be no issue even if it was left for a couple days. Just trying to help buddy.

sirrealism

maybe I am way off and you might be thinking of keeping the water level much higher then we think. That might work but still would be simpler to put a couple holes in the bottom. Not big ones like the top as i think your trying to do surface skimming which is a great idea. I guess maybe you could explain what your thoughts behind putting this corner in. I know its to hide heater but then why the pump? If its to keep the surface moving "Which i think is a great idea" then I think your going to have some issues with water level as any evap will only remove water from the corner and the water in the tank will stay at the same level always like a drilled tank with overflows.

Coraljunkie

The water level in the main part will constantly be feeding the back part, the reason for the pump is to pull water through carbon and then go into the tank

Coraljunkie

The water level in the tank and in the "sump"area will be the same, the pump will suck water up and return it back into the tank constantly