Coralife Biocube 29 Questions

DB88

Hello,
I just opened my new Coralife Biocube 29 and am wanting to do an LED upgrade. I don't trust myself to do a DIY kit.i've been looking at the Ecozotic Panorama pro Modules. they run about 69 bucks a piece witch i think is pretty reasonable. Does anyone have any experiance with these lights?
I was thinking of running 2 White/Blue and one soloid blue. Would that be enough light to grow just about anything? i've read a few reviws that the lights begin to dim after just six months. Not sure if its true.
also i was wondering if someone could recommend a good skimmer. Tunze 9002?

Any comments would be much appreciated. Thanks

Singlefin

I had two white/blues &. A blue/ magenta modules and the tunze 9002 in my bc29. The tunze is good. Better with the airline upgrade. Not much you can fit back there. I wasn't happy with my panorama pros. The three are enough for softies but not Sps and clams. Maybe if you can add 4 but for that price I would go DIY. I had 200 par 1" below the surface and 50 on the sandbed. After doing a DIY for my 40b and seeing how cheap and easy it was, I wish I went that way with my bc29. I didn't have the coralife version.

DB88

I had two white/blues &. A blue/ magenta modules and the tunze 9002 in my bc29. The tunze is good. Better with the airline upgrade. Not much you can fit back there. I wasn't happy with my panorama pros. The three are enough for softies but not Sps and clams. Maybe if you can add 4 but for that price I would go DIY. I had 200 par 1" below the surface and 50 on the sandbed. After doing a DIY for my 40b and seeing how cheap and easy it was, I wish I went that way with my bc29. I didn't have the coralife version.

Did you have any problems with the Panoramas dimming? What DIY would you suggest?

Singlefin

No. Dimming was fine. I thought I was getting good light till I borrowed a par meter. I had Sps a clam and an rbta. They all didn't grow well. When I put them on my new build they took off. This is my rbta reaching for the light.
A1B58410-9119-43DB-A819-A7A0C2FF01FC-6900-000003EF3B06BE95.jpg

Singlefin

Rapidled.com had a kit. There might be others. Ecoxotic was pretty expensive. I needed lights fast and didn't have experience with LEDs so I went that route. Just another learning experience. My bc29 leaked so I took it down a few months ago.

DB88

Thanks for the advice! Much Appreciated! i have also been looking at the Rapid led Solderless dimmable kit. it seems nice but somewhat of a pain to put together. maybe i shoud just go for it. i just want it to look clean. i believe it runs about 275.

i have the nano cube 28 hqi i took off the hood and got the rapid led kit 24 bulb 3watt dimmable i never Soldered before after a quick youtube lession 4 hours later and done and at the time they didnt have a solderless kit but i enjoyed it tho lol

DB88

Ya i think thats what im gonna end up doing. Either rapid led or steves leds. steves kit comes 95% complete for a few dollers more then the rapid kit and also has 28 leds. Have you seen this kit? The stock Configuration is 10 Cool white and 18 blue. do you think that would be too blue? Whats the difference between cool white and regular?

Singlefin

Not sure what regular white is, but NW, neutral or natural white, might have better properties and look than cool white. Worth researching.

Zenergy

Ya i think thats what im gonna end up doing. Either rapid led or steves leds. steves kit comes 95% complete for a few dollers more then the rapid kit and also has 28 leds. Have you seen this kit? The stock Configuration is 10 Cool white and 18 blue. do you think that would be too blue? Whats the difference between cool white and regular?

I have Steves LED kits on both my nanos. Excellent customer service (they answered all my annoying questions - very timely too!), excellent products, and the 95% complete kit is a great way to save yourself some time and frustration. Directions are a little vague though - only negative really. If you ever want to change your color configuration or get a LED repaired they offer a service for only $5 a LED (plus the price of the new LED). I personally like the color config better on my BioCube - it’s really preference. I don't like looking at a blue tank - some people love this as do some corals. My tanks are primarily for seahorses & have mostly zoa’s, mushrooms, & gorgonians. Only others corals I have are a sun coral & green flowing pot in my RSM.