coral feeding

Raheem

My feeding regiment for my corals are as follows:

Turn off protein skimmer for 15min
place 1ml of Polyp Booster in my 32g bio cube and let it circulate in the tank for 15 min
turn my skimmer back on
feed my corals with reef roids using 1/4 teaspoon mixed with tank water.

My question is, how often should I feed them? I have been feeding them every day but four days ago, I read on a forum that you should only feed corals twice a week. Am I over feeding?

Also, how do I know if my corals are dead?

DaveK

Feedimg corals every day is way too much. Cut this back to once or twice a week. Many corals don't need to be fed at all.

As for if they are dead, on SPS corals the living membrane over the skeleton will come off and the coral will look like dead coral sold in shell shops and algae will start to grow on it. On LPS corals the polyps will retract and possibly decay. On soft corals, they will start to decay and sections turn black. Since they have no rigid skeleton, when they die all that's left is a small pile of rubble.

If your in doubt about a coral, you can give it the smell test. Good SPS and LPS corals will most smell much at all, or smell like the ocean. Soft corals will smell bad. Corals on the way out will smell especially foul and nasty. Then it's time to remove them. Sometimes you can frag off parts that are still good and at least save something.

Last edited: