Considering Neptune Systems DOS...

Blue Space

What do you think of the DOS?

Up till now I've been using kalkwasser in my ATO to maintain calc & alk between water changes for two my nano systems. Now that I'm moving to a larger system I'm dreaming of huge colonies of sps and lps with high demands for alk/calc/ and mg... (Stop drooling!). To make a long story short, I am looking to dose a two-part solution with a dosing system. I absolutely love everything the Apex DOS has to offer but the price.

Sniff, sniff... You smell that? The price stinks so if I'm going to drop that much dough on a two-pump dosing system then you guys better make me at least feel good about it! :D

Other dosing systems in that price range usually come with three or four pumps (not that I need more for dosing two-part when I can dose the mg manually, which is no big deal) while not as accurate or high quality as the DOS pumps, they don't need to be able to dose one drop at a time. Being that I have the Apex controller already I could just use the BRS dosing pumps? But then I don't get all the neat info, features, and options that the DOS offers.

What I really want to know is how the DOS is performing in the real world? If you've got one I'd love to hear about your experience and how long you've been running it. If you have a good "DOS" alternative that won't break the bank let me know why you ended up picking that.

Cheers and don't forget to check how much your alk has dropped this week! :)

DaveK

I think the unit will work ok. Neptune systems has a good reputation.

Still, before you drop $350 on this, and an Apex controller, if you don't have one, Make sure you really really need this. It's only worth investing in a dosing system if your existing filtration, skimming and lighting are all excellent.

Another alternative is to consider a calcium reactor if you have a lot of SPS. In large systems, this is often a better choice compared to two part dosing.

Blue Space

Thanks Dave. I need to start a new tank thread for it on this site... :D

I have the apex already -and for the new system I have a vertex 180 skimmer, and Kessil A360W lighting. Of course I don't NEED it.... but I'm loving the info the apex can provide. :)

Just wondering if anyone on this board has first hand knowledge of the advertised bliss or buyer's remorse...

Diemaker

I have two of the units from day one never had any issuies ,I use one for water changes and one for dosing. They work great and love the charting in apex for them. Very easy to tune as well. They are pricy but they just work