Considering adding another fish to my 14g biocube

djbacon

Having a little dilemna...I think I want another fish. Anybody have thoughts on the matter?

I currenly have just one clown in a 14g tank. He has already grown in the short time I've had him.

Considering a pair of small true clowns - not that I don't love my current clown, I would donate him back to my LFS if I went this route.

Alternately, considering a fire fish or goby to add with the existing clown. I've finally got my nitrates to undectable levels and think I can keep em here with weekly changes so feel the tank can support another little fish. What other fish would get along well with an exisiting clown?

Just thinking out loud here - would love any feedback. I'm finally past the algae blooms and things seem pretty stable. Is 2 fish pushing it in a small biocube? Is 3.5 months too soon to streess the system with a second fish?

Last edited:

Anselth

It's really too small for another fish. you especially don't want to add a firefish now that the clown is established. Firefish are way to timid to not be an early addition to a tank.

lcstorc

Definitely no more fish. The tank is just too small. If you wanted you could get rid of the clown and get 2 much smaller fish like clown gobies. As you have already seen the clown will grow and over time even the one clown will be too much for the tank.
Get some nice colorful corals and your parameters will thank you.

Emg

In a 14....I'd put a redhead goby...which only grow to about 2 inches...very comical and personable little fish.

Clown gobies stay rather small....you could get away with one of those easily enough.

If you're really good with weekly water changes and maintenance...you'd be able to keep the redhead with a clown goby in a 14. I had a yellow watchman and a redhead in a 15 successfully......but I was ANAL about taking care of it.

goldenmean

I just did a read of your tanks thread.
It really looks great especially for a young tank.

I see that you have a skimmer so that is a good thing.
How often do you do water changes?
I think you could have another clown in there if you are diligent in doing weekly WC. However I would suggest that you not add another one now. Your tank is still really new and You have been adding corals at a pretty steady rate.

I have two tank raised Amphiprion Ocellaris in my 12g custom nano which also has a skimmer. However I did not add any fish to this tank until I was at the 9 month mark. A month later I also added a barnacle blenny which is also a great lil fish with a small bioload for a nano. My tank is over 2 years old now and I have had no problems with the fish. I truely believe I have had success with the clowns in this tank because I let the tank mature so long before I added any fish.

Good Luck!

djbacon

yea, I do a 25% change weekly and my nitrates are undetectable. I've been nervous about doubling my bioload. I am ridiculously anal about caring for this tank.

Oceanic suggest 4-6 small fish are ok for the 14g which seems ridiculous. My LFS says 3 max.

I'd really like to try 2 just to give the tank a little more spice but dont want to upset the balance. My LFS just got a few little amazing maroon clown fish with yellow stripes. They are so beautiful I'd love to take one home. I know I can't have that and my existing clown though.

Considering trading in my existing clown and getting one of those, perhaps then I could add a small firefish too. Let them acclimate together? These 2 fish are both half the size of my current clown. Hoping to hear from some more nano reef owners here too.

really do appreciate everyone's input. even if everyone does not agree :ponder2:

goldenmean

The maroon clownfish is one of the larger clownfish species and they are very aggressive/territorial.

djbacon

yeah - i read that, about them being territorial - would defintely haved to give up the other clown to make it happen. I'm planning on starting a bow front tank soon - 30-40g in which I could move him as he grows....decisions decisions....

Im still mulling this all over - not sure what to do just yet.:ponder2: