Common Corals & Diving Locations?

N83259

I have not been diving since starting in the SW hobby, but I am now thinking about a trip this winter.

I was thinking it would be cool to see some of the coral species we all commonly keep in their natural environment. So the "Indo Pacific" would be a top choice...but where exactly? Australia would be great, but seems awfully distant & the most expensive, but will be looking into it. Only Pacific experience was Calif., Mexico & Hawaii. What other Pacific destinations would be better than average?

Does anyone have any info on really species rich Pacific locations? And if I have to settle for a Carib. location, any opinions on which might be better than the more well known locations?

All suggestions appreciated.

Funlad3

Has been struck by the ban stick
Maui has the best snorkeling I've been to, and Kauai is the best place I've ever been. Enough said?

Jetbkk

I was just in the Komodo area of Indonesia and it was stunning. Try that for a trip combined with Bali and you won't be disappointed!

Tru2nr

I found good snorkeling spots in Aruba and BVI...

...60% of the time it works every time

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Hawaii had good spots yet the Caribbean outside Nassau and Atlantis had the prettiest spots only 25-30 feet below. And the reef was huge. Great barrier anyone?

..........tequilla is not my friend anymore

About 4 years ago I snorkeled the 2nd biggest barrier reef. It's located in Belize. Last year my ex Gf went snorkeling in Australia at the great barrier reef. From pics and first hand experience both are great choices. Very beautiful. I want tO go back. Seen a lot of familiar corals and livestock. I'll look for the pictures.

vsindorf

Indo-Pacific? Thailand or Indonesia. Both are on the top of my must-dive list. For both I have heard nothing but good things - tons of color, tons of life, and if you're into softies and/or cool tiny things (think pygmy seahorses), then you'll be in heaven.

If you want to stay closer to home, head down to Xcalak. It's the last village you'll hit in Mexico before the river that separates it from Belize. It's paradise. The only people in the town are mexican fishermen, ex-pats who found a slice of heaven, and people who come specifically to sport fish or dive. Pristine reef in a marine protected area with tons of life from huge schools of tarpon and jacks to eagle rays, manatees, turtles, and tiny brightly colored juvenile angels and nudibranchs. I lived there for three months, working with XTC dive shop so I'm happy to talk xcalak with you anytime and give you the inside scoop ;)

Oxylebius

Belize was the best coral diving I've done, take a boat ride out to Lighthouse Reef, Halfmoon Caye, and the Blue Hole.
Second best was the Big Island of Hawaii, Kona side was better then Hilo, and the Big Island was better then Kauai, Maui, and Oahu.
I would love to dive Bonaire, Palau and Galapagos.

lbiminiblue

Bimini has some pretty great reefs actually...despite that it IS a common tourist destination, it's not the overpacked place you'd expect it to be. Just off Cat Cay there's a super nice reef (Cat Cay is really close to Bimini). Definitely closer than the Indo Pacific, not as great variety of corals, but still some great reefs. If you're looking for a more authentic feel than jam-packed cruise destinations, either the Bimini islands or the Far East islands like Eleuthera are the best for the Bahamas. if you want i have some pics of the reefs i've dove at.

ReefApprentice

In November I dived phiphi island,Thialand and saw sooo many hobby fish and inverts.Also the highlight of the trip were the cuttle fish,sea snakes ,and mantis shrimp.If you go there you must go to Anemone reef.Huge rock 20-50 feet deep covered with eels,anemones and clownfish!