collecting in florida

rick8335

Sorry guys, collecting coral in the keys IS AGAINST THE LAW!!!! Any coral at all in the keys is protected!!!!! As stated in other posts most coral in the whole state is off limits with soft coral being an exception. But all waters 3 miles around the fl keys are strictly off limits, you will loose your boat and possibly your vehicle you used to tow it there. Our reefs in fl are fragile enough, why not just leave them alone....

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Just keep in mind that this is an OLD post so be sure to check ALL laws before doing ANYTHING!

MrPex

When I said "...except on the corals.", it was in addendum to the previous post that said "leave nothing but footprints.", as I quoted in my post.

I was alluding to the thought "leave nothing but footprints, except on the corals", meaning leave nothing but footprints, but don't even leave footprints on the corals! Every good diver knows not to touch the corals.

Sorry guys, collecting coral in the keys IS AGAINST THE LAW!!!! Any coral at all in the keys is protected!!!!! As stated in other posts most coral in the whole state is off limits with soft coral being an exception. But all waters 3 miles around the fl keys are strictly off limits, you will loose your boat and possibly your vehicle you used to tow it there. Our reefs in fl are fragile enough, why not just leave them alone....

steved13

PREMIUM
It's an old thread but I thought I'd add some more info in case someone else is interested.

Call the FWC 850-488-5600 ask them what you need and what you need to know. I'd be surprised if they weren't very helpful, especially since you are asking first. A fishing license if required as pretty cheap and very easy to get (you can do it over the phone),

You can also check out myfwc.com.

lbiminiblue

And not like there are too many nice corals either, but south miami has certain areas that aren't protected, and i've seen some WEIRD jawfish-looking fish there.