collecting in florida

Jake9487

im going to florida prob key west in may does anyone know where good collecting spots that i can get to by my self are?

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Michael cb 125 is in the Keys right now. You might want to PM him when he gets back in a week or so. I'm sure he will have some prime spots!

GSELLERS

Has been struck by the ban stick
he is right on the live rock and the coral, but you can keep some snails and crabs...but you have to go to fish and wildlife website for exact species and times to collect

leahski

yeah, it's a national marine sanctuary, you can't collect there. i know there is a lobstering season, i'm not sure about snails and crabs.

emccullough1

Check out the laws first you could come out losing your boat all gear and get a big fine and jail term.

A quote from.

Florida's Coral Reefs

When diving or snorkeling, look, but do not touch! Do not grasp, stand or sit on living coral. You may damage the coral and hurt yourself in the process. All coral is protected. It is against the law to collect, harvest or sell Florida corals in state and adjacent federal waters.

I would recommend you check with ( The Department of Environmental Protection )

Tallahassee - Headquarters
(850)-245-2094

Director, Stephanie Bailenson

Assistant Director, Ellen McCarron

Here is a site that could help you but it is not cheep.

Tropical Fish Collecting Charters

leahski

i'm not sure if there is non-sanctuary waters where personal collection is allowed. i know of at least one company that does collect species for public aquariums and such, but the only times i've heard of personal collection taking place, it was followed by their jail scentence!

JWarren

I would not be cought by one of those FWC officers without a species ID card. Get one that's having a bad day, without being able to prove it is allowed right then and there and you may find yourself in the slammer real fast! They don't mess around with poachers in the Keys!

I'm down there twice a year and can tell you for sure, You better cover all bases before taking anything from there!

The best places to go is in the grassy areas on the west side of Key largo and out off the east side about a mile or so. Stay far away from John Pennecamp park. You don't want to be caught with anything anywhere close to there.

lcstorc

Since I live on the east coast of Florida I did my own investigation. Absolutely no rock may be collected. Not even a small piece. No hard corals can be collected. There are some soft corals that can be collected but are subject to daily limits and you have to have a fishing license.
I'm with John on this one. If they catch you they are going to bring you in and then investigate if it is one of the few allowable corals.
As an added note I like the saying take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but footprints.

leahski

yeah, as sweet as it would be to hand select your own wild grown softies, i'm not sure its worth it with wildlife officers and all, not to mention (from all i've heard) its not like you can bring back a nice mushroom or ric rock - you cant have ANY rock, which would also make it not travel as well.

i don't know, i would just say enjoy your dives and take nice pictures!

johnmaloney

Floridians hate to hear tourists taking their prizes! That is my experience, (almost a lifelong Florida resident), don't trust the locals! ;) The protected marine sanctuaries are in john pennikamp park. While you can't collect at all there it is worth the trip for some AWESOME snorkeling. Before you get down here get yourself a recreational license. DO IT NOW, your time here is a precious commodity. Collecting aquarium critters brings all sorts of attention from everyone. You will be surprised. Don't take liverock or hard corals, (or seagreasses, long spined urchins or anything else protected), they come with HUGE fines. For example a local LFS guy was caught taking liverock and he was fined 250k. Don't lose a house over a piece of rock. Almost everybody in the Keys will be proud to turn you in for it, just be careful and stay after crabs, snails, fish etc... check you fwc regulations with the link given to by the other member. Same with hard corals, you might as well start selling drugs.

Now that the doom and gloom is over, you will have a blast! If you are going after fish and want to be sporting, get yourself a hand net with a good strong rim, and a long basket. Don't waste your money on a slurp gun, they suck. The bridges provide good fishing, but anywhere you see with good structure will be teeming with life. That way everywhere in S. Florida. If you are going to net fish don't try to slowly get them in the net with patience. This never works! You MUST pounce on them, catch a wave and use the extra speed to get the jump on them, or you will end up empty handed. Additionally you must lead your fish, don't swipe where it is at, swipe where it is going. You will also want to swipe with the rim parallel to the floor, twisting it at the last second to catch the fish. This takes practice, try to learn the move before you get here. (Practice in lakes maybe). They also make fish traps...lame.

If you are having a hard time catching with the hand net, (you will, it is hard swipe often), then work the tide pools. (Tides are the key to any fishing experience, you should know them regardless). On a low tide find some good rocky tide pools, and look for fish taking shelter. If you can't net fish this way, it is hopeless for you I am afraid.

I don't collect in Key West, (so expensive to stay down there), I am up north more in palm beach county. If you come here I can put you on the money spot, although you won't get any info on soft corals from me. They are terribly overfished and I can't wait for FWC to protect them. Please don't be that guy who comes down here and helps to ruin the treasures of our state to save $8.

johnmaloney

Hope it is helpful. By the way, if you have a big tank, and want some 3 inch plus fish, get out that sabiki rig! I have caught 30 fish in an hour, lots of them with good aquarium potential like blennys, and large seargents, french grunts, porkfish, etc... this way. I fish for these guys more now than gamefish, always catch and release though, because I keep nano-tanks. The action is always hot in the right spot, and these guys are good at stealing bait so it is fun. (Want a tang? Use Ulva on a sabiki.. no joke it works) Oh.. the traps work, (but you can't pick out your fish, and you won't get many) but I say they are lame, because there is no sport in it.