Clowns breeding now eggs gone????

jfenton954

Do clown fish eat their own eggs? My ossilarus clowns laid eggs and I left and came home and now their gone. Their very protective of their area could another fish in my tank of ate them?

frisbee

Clownfish eating their own eggs is definitely a possibility. Cichlids do it all the time. What else do you have in your tank though? (fish, invertebrates etc)

Snelly40

it can happen, possibly if they weren't healthy i believe, dont worry, once they mate and lay eggs they will often keep doing it

jfenton954

Fairy wrasse, male and female Watanabe Angels, blue damsel, green chromis, Orange shoulder tang, Kole tang, foxface, watchman goby, and the two clowns

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
mine breed every 10 or so days and they always eat the eggs. The male picks off the duds and if any dislocate and they are seen, any fish will eat them. I do think they try to raise them but once they detach, the current in our reefs doesn't give them a fighting chance.

Sign of a healthy tank/pair of clowns though!

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Mine always spawn in their little clay pot, the male stays with the egg clutch until they look like this:
image.jpg
After they start thinning out in numbers like pictured....
The next morning they are always gone. I've seen tiny free swimmers only once and it was after the lights were off. A few days later, they spawn again.
Sad as it seems, they are just FREE FOOD for my tank. I don't have desire to raise them and nowhere to send them to if I did.

frisbee

Fairy wrasse, male and female Watanabe Angels, blue damsel, green chromis, Orange shoulder tang, Kole tang, foxface, watchman goby, and the two clowns

Well if the clownfish didn't do it I wouldn't put it past the wrasse, the angels, the damsels and the foxface. I know you didn't see this happen, but you've got quite a list of suspects there IMO.

frisbee

To a degree... If you've got a fish that has a taste for eggs it's not really going to take very long to destroy the whole crop. This could be done in a matter of minutes.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF

jfenton954

Well I added a clay pot to my tank where they laid their eggs and they won't go near the pot. Is there anyway to get them to lay there?

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Well I added a clay pot to my tank where they laid their eggs and they won't go near the pot. Is there anyway to get them to lay there?

It may take a while for them to host the Clay pot. :fishy::fishy:
M
y clowns took to it within 30 minutes of putting it in the tank. One reason it happened so fast might be that I put the Clay pot right where the clown pair were cleaning off an area of LR.
I don't think there is a way other than placing the pot close to where they are acting like they want to spawn.
Are you going to actually set up an additional tank & try to raise the clownfish fry?

jfenton954

I did place the pot exactly where they cleaned off the rock and laid at. Yeah if they actually lay in or on the pot. I got two pots to rotate them out.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Nope, not me :winky:...I didn't make it up.
Clay pots are commonly used in breeder tanks.
I guess they aren't used as much in reef tanks because they aren't commonly found in reefs :cool:
But I'd rather have a clay pot than a trouble making Nem. :D

SAMAN

MY CLOWNFISH EAT EGG AT DAY3 AND 4 AND 5 :( I CAN EGGS Early separation of eggs from parents?
I CAN EGG separation at day 3 or 4 ?