Clownfish sleeping habits?

SubyRS25

So I'm def a newbie to the marine tank world. My tanks been up for about 2 weeks with fish 2 clownfish and a small handful of crabs for a week now. Everyone is happy, and my tank did cycle in record time before adding the fish. I was eager to add fish but i had a good amonia spike on day 2 with a dead damsel floating around during the first week and i have like 40lbs of LS and 27lbs of LR ina 20g tank. My levels have not budged since adding the fish and crabs.
My question is, my clownfish shoot to the upper corner as soon as the lights go out and lay flat with their body parellel to the water surface fighting for position closest to the corner. Is this a normal night/sleeping behavior for clowns? I have plenty of caves and grottos around for them to hide in. I was thinking the first night they were just not used to the tank and didnt have a spot, but they are still doing it. Will they find a spot or is that just what they do?

this is how mine sleep too! so think its normal!!
better watch you dont get any more little cycles mine had mini cycles for about a month six weeks and that was a second hand tank which we moved water, rock everything !
so it was an established filter!
would not add anything more for month or so if its new tank is 20g big enough for clown?? what else you got? i am new to this too so still learning

vdituri

They normally rest their bellies on an anemone and don't normally hide in nooks and crannies like other fish. Sounds like a perfectly normal substitute for them.

SubyRS25

My future plans are limited. I think i have enough crabs (6 scarlet hermits, 1 unknown hermit that was supposed to be a snail, 2 emerald crabs and 1 snail) but i may add another snail or two. I plan on adding some zoa's or soft corals in a few months once i've expanded my knowledge base enough and i feel my tank is established enough. I'd like a Kenya tree and some more color.

My clowns did the same thing. I was told that they could just be trying to find a host. Some of them take to the heater, skimmer box, anything that they can find.
I actually came down early one morning and found both of them kinda floating on their sides at the top and panicked, then about an hour they were back to normal, days later, same thing. We have been turning the light off earlier that we used to so I have actually seen them slow down and lie down and go to sleep.
As long as they do move around and are eating, I'd say your safe too.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Your lucky and have smart clowns, mine used to sleep on the sand and get hauled screaming and kicking into the hole where the beastpig lived and ate.

thats what my clown does.... he sleeps in a "dead spot" right behind the heater in the upper corner. Soon as lights go out cya! hes up in his area... i cant wait to transfer him to my bigger tank

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
the beastpig had several forms, one was an humongous gorilla crab the other was the dreaded mantis shrimp, after they were hunted by the angry villagers their children grew up and ate some more clowns,and a hippo AND A lot OF MY SNAILS, i trapped and froze them in the freezer and its peace in the valley again lol

CMG

I just want to say that this thread is so funny. I am laughing out loud just picturing these little clown fish shooting up to the top of the tank and then flopping over and passing out! hahaha.:laughroll This is such a perfect example of how much more character SW has than FW.

slakker

I have a clump xenias that my Clarkii took too... he nestles in like it was an anemone, a good substitute...

CMG,
You should take a look at my 2 clowns when they decide they want to play hide and seek.
It is a hoot. I didn't know what they were doing until I saw the one make a little hill to hide behind to count, then the smaller one took off like a bat out of hell to hide in the rocks. You would see him pop up every once and awhile to see if the larger was coming... then he would swim around behind the rocks and come up on the one who was looking for him.
This is a normal occurance for them.
They are ALOT more fun to watch than I had anticipated!

paulm87

Ive just got 2 false percula clowns today and ive just noticed them layin on the sand snuggled together up close lol its so cute, they have personality

Sapphire

here's a photo that was taken a while ago.......(this was at night)

Sleepingtogether.jpg

paulm87

There really nice fish to watch, I have put hermit crabs in mine as part of my clean up crew. And my larger female follows them around and just goes close and looks at them. Really curious fish and interesting to watch their behaviour. Definately get a pair though instead of just one.

Raebee

I have two maroons that sleep in the dead spot in the top corner of the tank behind my powerhead. I was really worried till I read this thread. I'm guessing this is better behavior since my last clown liked to sleep on the bottom of the tank and was gobbled in his sleep by out purple lobster. About two minutes after the lights go out you can see them either belly up or on their sides behind the powerhead till morning. My tank is still too young to get an anemone so this will have to do for awhile. During the day however they are all fun and games swimming through all the nooks and crannies in my tank!

Rae

iujj012

I just found this thread on here, I had to share that I have just put a new bubble tip anemone in my tank with 4 clowns, well I went and looked in the tank an hour after the lights went out and 3 of the 4 of them are sleeping in it, I cant really get a pic as I am afraid the lights would bother them...wild stuff...very cool!!!

This is how mine sleep. Sometimes they face up. But they like getting their tail sucked in the overflow for the most part. They go there an hour in advance of lights off.

sleep2.jpg

sleep1.jpg