Clownfish hosting Trumpet coral.

puffermike

So, I'd been wondering why my trumpet coral has been so droopy lately. A month ago I fragged off a portion of it and the fragged portion is fine. The larger portion is never fully extended though as I've now noticed the 2 clownfish in my reef seem to love this coral. The funny thing is that it's a branching trumpet. Anyone ever see this before?

I don't have much in the tank for them to host but now i'm wondering if I should try to get an anemone. I recently moved my condylactis anemone... because as in the true name condylactis gigantea suggests it got entirely too big and was invading on my reef. It's in the predator tank now.

DaveK

Clowns are sometimes noted for hosting in some corals and bothering them a lot. The thing is that even if you do get an anemone, there is no guarantee that the clowns will host in it or that they will not bother it.

If your going to get an anemone, make sure you have a well established tank, going for about a year, good lighting, and top quality water. You may want to consider getting the same species of anemone that the clowns natively host it, but be careful, some of these anemones get big or are tough to keep.

You also may need to consider removing the clowns.

puffermike

Thanks for advice Dave! I've had a few anemones in the past and only the crabs in my nano tanks would host them. I guess I'll be keeping an eye on these two guys and hopefully they'll leave it alone eventually. Maybe I'll try moving the trumpet around to see what happens. I've had these two clownfish for years! I'd hate to see them go.

I've been on the sideline about the different types of anemones. I enjoy them very much but they've always grown large and moved around in my tanks eventually harassing the corals so I've managed to keep them mainly in predator tanks.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
My clowns are hosted by my candy cane coral, they sleep on it every night & have even laid eggs on it's stem & they have a tank full of other choices, like hammer coral, frogspawn and lots of others... you can see the orange eggs in this pic :dance: for some reason they love it.

0b3622be.jpg~320x480

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
My vid... click on pic below to see... for some reason, this works from my PC, but not from my mac

but here another pic that's bigger, better detail

0b3622be.jpg

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
YouTube works better than Photobucket for vids ;

[video=youtube;bviGK6wrp0I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bviGK6wrp0I&feature=youtu.be[/video]

puffermike

You're looks like it's doing just fine with them in it! Maybe as mine grows it'll open up more. It's a bit small and it's the branching kind. Nice video by the way! Your tang had to photobomb them.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Glenn, Your clownfish pair are beautiful! I just found this thread that I somehow missed.
Thanks for sharing the video! :thumbup: