Clownfish died

ReefMagician

Hey guys,

Out of nowhere, one of my clownfish died (I had 2, still have 1).

My stats are:

Tank Size: 125G with 29g sump
Nitrate: 2 ppm
Nitrite: 0
Ammonia: 0
Temp: 76.7~78

Here is a picture of the corpse of my clown fish: http://imgur.com/a/mID1T

It seemed fine, the only thing was yesterday it began hiding in a cave and this morning I found it dead.

The only thing I can think of was 2 days ago, my HVAC system broke and my tank temperature dropped to 74.8. It never dropped below that and I got it back up to 76 within a few hours. Any ideas?

PS: I do plan to do a large water change in the next day or so just to be safe.

Attachments

• IMG_0475.JPG
    IMG_0475.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 12

cracker

Sorry about the clown. They really are cool fish. I personally doubt the drop in temperature took the fish out. How old is the tank & how long have You had the fishes? You have some nitrates there. Can we assume the tank is new ? Other's will ask more questions . Just remember sometimes we all lose a fish

ReefMagician

Sorry about the clown. They really are cool fish. I personally doubt the drop in temperature took the fish out. How old is the tank & how long have You had the fishes? You have some nitrates there. Can we assume the tank is new ? Other's will ask more questions . Just remember sometimes we all lose a fish
Tank has been up and running for about 10 months. Clowns were the first thing I added so 9 months without issues.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Sorry to hear you lost your beautiful clown ! Sometime we just never know... see what others think

welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :nessie:

DaveK

Fish can die for many reasons. In looking at your photo, I notices that the fins were split and that the top part of the body before the dorsal fin looked damaged. This could have been from after it died, since most other fish, and clean up crew will eat a dead fish.

Since this happened all of a sudden, perhaps the fish got in a fight with another fish in the tank? Clowns can be aggressive as they mature.

I suggest you look over all the rest of the livestock looking for diseases, and other signs of trouble. If that's all ok, about all you can do is write this off as one of those unexplained losses.