Clownfish Bullying Other Clownfish

I have two clownfish: an ocellaris and a platinum percula. The ocellaris is constantly chasing the platinum percula and nipping its tail, but the percula doesn't seem to care too much, even though its tail has a chunk missing. This has been going on since February. I think the ocellaris is a female because she was in the tank by herself for a couple weeks. I don't know if the percula is male or female, but it was the smallest in the LFS tank. I'm pretty sure the reason for all the bullying is that the two clowns are the same size and the percula refuses to submit to the ocellaris... he/she just swims away.

I don't have another tank to separate them, and I don't want to get rid of one because I have grown attached to both of them. How can I stop the bullying???

Last edited:

StirCrayzy

More food.?
Percs are usually more aggressive but as long as they are eating and healthy, clowns should find their place.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I believe (Doni - woodstock) who was our RS clown fish expert said once the problem is having 3

if you search for RS members woodstock she has lots of post and stickies - she was a renown breeder of clownfish.

all clownfish are born male - the most dominate one will convert to a female - a very fascinating fact

my guess is the bullying is related to having 3

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index...le-when-the-current-female-of-the-group-dies/

Uncle99

Mixing species and or colouration of clowns can be quite challenging, and sometimes not possible.
What size of a tank are they in?
Is their a anenome?

saintsreturn

Watching as this will be very informational. I have a black osc... (cant spell) and he is the resident a hole. He nips at all the other fish with larger fins. We pulled him and put him in my desk tank for now, but may put him back after the next water change.

Uncle99

30g is the minimum size in my mind, but can work.
Assuming you do not have two females (cause they can't change back)
you may need to manage the situation. Rearranging something in the tank, separating for 48 hours (I understand you can't do this) is all that I know and that's assuming 1 male 1 female.
If the bullying is getting to the point of one not eating or being torn apart, you will need to remove the loser at one point or you risk the potential of Ick taking hold.

I rearranged a couple days ago, ocellaris still chases percula. I know for sure that the ocellaris is a female, not sure about the percula...

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
the dominate one (usually the larger one) will become a female... and if they become a mated pair they will get along once converted

if this helps. see what others suggest/say

I think the problem is that they are both the same size. The female ocellaris attacks the percula, but the percula simply swims away. No fighting back or submitting dance.

Uncle99

You may be correct
If this had been going on since Feb, not much you can do other than keep an eye on the situation

Who gets the BTA?
Who sleeps in the BTA at night and what does the other do at this time?

Does one always manage the nem and the other hover in close proximity or stays far away?

Last edited:

Uncle99

image.jpeg Mixing inter-species in the home aquarium, unless it's about 100g long is problematic, it might only work 2 out of 10 times in perfect conditions assuming not two females, this of course will never pair. Over time, or with a large tank, many times two females will stake out separate territories but not quite enough in the 30g.

What will work 7 out of 10 times ,is one large clown,(either in your case) left in the tank for 2 months on its own, then, and introduction of a small, say 1/2 to 3/4 maximum of the same species, same coloration. Even this provides no guarantee, but the success rate is much higher.

It sometimes takes a bit of exchanging with your supplier, but once paired, this will remain intact until one dies.

At the same time, it may work out, if you want them both, keep a good watch on them.

Same with the nem, I had one clown go 6 months or so, I had given up, one morning guess what I found......sleeping in the nem......this host process is right away, sometime down the road, sometimes never...

These two Darwins were paired 18 months ago

Last edited: