Clown fish won't host with anemone

DariusM

Hi everyone,

I am a new SW tank owner. So far i am enjoying it immensely. Sorry but I coulnd not decide wether to post this in the fish forum or the anemone forum. About a two months ago I lost my first anemone (sorry i do not know what kind it was) since then I have noticed that my two clown fish have become very reclusive. Mainly just staying under a rock where the current has pushed some of the sand out. Yesterday I got a bubble anemone it has been in the tank for less than 24 hours but seems to be doing well. The fish have shown zero interst in the anemone so far and while I am not concerned at time I was wondering how long I should wait before I become concerned or should I be concerened at all? I would like for the fish to be more active like they used to be is there anything I can do lead them in that direction? Would rearrenging the tank possibly help with this? My tank is 15 gallons. I have two clownfish, a fire shrimp, and the anemone. Thank you in advance for any advice you can give.

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
First off, clowns are funny they will use practically anything as a host. My pair have used macroalgae, palythoas, zoas, and my toadstool. They completely ignore my anemone, which is a bubble tip, too. Secondly if they are hovering about in a safe location, there may be a possibility that they laid eggs and are guarding them.

You might want to check out www.karensanemones.net for more info.

Good luck.

Twisted reefer

I've had a nem and pair of clowns for a long time and for the first year, they ignored it and hosted everything but the nem. Then one day they moved in. Just give them time and hopefully they'll do the same. :)

Twisteds 40 breeder

StirCrayzy

Certain species of clown are known to prefer certain nems. Years ago i remember seeing a pairing guidebook... maybe somebody will know where tha
it is.
But clowns also can, and regularly, defy logic.

R1junkie

My juvinile percs seem to be attached to a shell that I put in for the hermits, they don't let any crabs near it.

Camille

My clowns took a year to host in the anemone - woo hoo I thought but now you can hardly see them because they are in the anemone!! Clowns are fine with or without an anemone and anemones are fine with out fish - although I did notice my anemone stopped accepting food after the clowns moved in - they must create plenty of waste for consumption. I do have a frag tank with one clown in it and he/she hosts in a feather duster ;-)

Camille