Cloudy water

adamsfour

I have a well establish tank and all of the sudden the water is not clear. In addition, I have noticed on some of the LPS that there is film like material (clear transparent almost like lint) hanging off the coral. Coral look fine. I'm am in the middle of resolving a running away doing pump that over dosed my tank so I was thinking Calcium precipitation but it doesn't seem to look like it. I would have to think its some sort of Algae bloom. Its not completely cloudy but hazy. Any ideas and how to resolve. The tank is a Red Sea max and been running for 5 years. All level are normal (except Alkalinity)

Nobbygas

If mine ever looks a bit 'hazy' it's usually a reminder to change the floss in the media cups and replace the Active Carbon.

adamsfour

Actually interesting you would say that. As I mentioned I did just swapped out the carbon but I have always used Chem-pure and it came in its typical canister. This time I order a large quantity and it came in a big plastic bag with the smaller bags inside. I would assume not an issue but it something different to look at, thanks

adamsfour

Its actually very high (too high) and my first theory was precipitated Calcium but based on what I could find it doesn't look like that what it is. I certainly could be wrong. I accidently set my dosing amount too high while out of town. I am bring it down slowly now

adamsfour

Thanks for the recommendation. Looking at it closer last night I am perplex on exactly what's going on. I would assume if it was a Calcium precipitation issue I would see a coating on the rocks, which I don't. If it was an algae issue I would see a build up of algae on the rocks also, again which I don't. All I see is a hair light object that attach to anything with branches. Also, apparently a bacteria bloom is uncommon in established tanks. The steps I am going to do is.
1) I am replacing the carbon. Just on the low chance I got a bad batch
2) I have a UV sterilizer and will install this evening
3) Increase water changes
4) If above doesn't clear it up I will try Diatom filter

In parallel I am lowering the alkalinity which is still high.