Cleanup Crew Online Ordering

Haaileybop

So I am not quite ready to add a cuc yet, but as suggested I am doing research :p I went to the LFS to check out prices and it would cost me a small fortune to get a full cuc there so I think I am going to order online. I really hate ordering online, I would much rather go to the store, oogle, then bring home what I wanted. I was looking at two different options, but I am defiantly open to suggestions, on ordering from one of these two sites:

Reef Cleaners 35 gallon hex package for $31

or

Foster and Smith 30 gallon package for $70

The major difference is crabs vs no crabs, and the huge price difference. I was leaning towards Reef Cleaners, but I would love to hear any suggestions or another site I might be able to use.

Another question is do I add the cuc before or after my first fish? My tank is still cycling atm. Also these packages seem like a huge bioload to add all at once, or is it because they are so small its not too bad?

Thanks in advance and for help for clarifying my noobiness!

Alien2100

You can also try liveaquaria.com as well it's part of Dr Foster & Smith. $60 shipped byo reef cleaning pack. I've had good results with them in the past. And clean up crews add almost nothing to your bio load, their not like fish in that aspect. But yes you will most likely have a lot more than you need. If your setting up a refugium you could place some in there as well. Or trade them in with your LFS or fellow reefers in your area. I added my clean up crew after my tank was well established to insure they would have plenty of food to eat. But I know some people and them early on to help establish a tank, rather then using fish.

Robzilla

Email John at reefcleaners. Best customer service EVER. He will put together a custom crew for you for dirt cheap and he may even throw in a few freebies.

I only order CUC from him as do a lot of other RS members.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Foster & Smith is a great company ! For cuc you just can't beat John ReefCleaners and his free shipping on Quick Crews rocks !!!

For just a just a few more $$$, here what I would do (and did in my tanks), when the cycle is complete & before the 1st fish (but this could be at same time), I would add this 20 gal package $23 - then in a couple of months (free shipping) another one :dance: Cheers but you won't go wrong with the one from reefcleaners above either...

ReefCleaners.org | Clean Up Crews and Macro Algae - Quick Crew (20 Hexagon)

Robzilla

+1 Both are great companies. I have ordered dry goods from F&S with great results. John has always exceeded my expectations on CUC so he keeps my business.

JGard911

Haileybop

I ordered my CUC from reefcleaners and was very happy. I put them in just after I got my first fish. (My fish didnt seem to eat any food that dropped all the way to the sand, so the CUC does).
I have a 150 gallon display tank. The "quick crew" reefcleaners recommend for a 150 DT seemed excessive, so I ordered a 35 gallon package. (With that size crew my tank still looks like invasion of the body snatchers at night. LOL)
I have since had a green hair algae outbreak. So I am now considering ordering some blue leg hermit crabs. You might consider adding them to your "quick crew" order. The only problem is that they require overnight shipping (which isn't free), so it might be cheaper to get them at a LFS.

I see you are from New York. Hope Irene doesnt hit you too hard.
Glad you don't have any fishies to worry about yet in a power outage. I am on Cape Cod and am working on a contingency plan for that now.

Haaileybop

Foster & Smith is a great company ! For cuc you just can't beat John ReefCleaners and his free shipping on Quick Crews rocks !!!

For just a just a few more $$$, here what I would do (and did in my tanks), when the cycle is complete & before the 1st fish (but this could be at same time), I would add this 20 gal package $23 - then in a couple of months (free shipping) another one :dance: Cheers but you won't go wrong with the one from reefcleaners above either...

ReefCleaners.org | Clean Up Crews and Macro Algae - Quick Crew (20 Hexagon)

+1 Both are great companies. I have ordered dry goods from F&S with great results. John has always exceeded my expectations on CUC so he keeps my business.

Thanks guys! I think when I am ready... hopefully in the next month or so (fingers crossed) I will place an order with Reefcleaners when I am good and ready. I think I am will probably introduce them as the same time as my first fish... which my fish list is still undetermined. From the crab horror stories I was a little nervous about adding 40 hermits with the F&S package and I like the idea of ordering a smaller package then in a few months adding another. I do like the hermits... but 40 is a bit much.

How often do the snails climb out?

Swanheezy

depends on the snail but i never had any probs wid that, and i was very happy wid what i ordered from reefcleaners i just went threw and ordered what i wanted rather then a package. i think i spent 25 bucks and got alot of snails few hermits some micro and some decorative shells for my hermits cant go wrong wid reefcleaners.

rhino31

you might want to check reefs2go.com great customer service, solid prices, and good livestock. just a thought

catran

Reefcleaners.com is the best. If you have any questions you can email John, or pm him from here too. He answered a bunch of questions about a cuc for my 10" tall rimless frag tank...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jjmoneyman

RS Sponsor
I just placed an order today from John at reefcleaners.org. I needed a good crew for my self made frag tank and he told me exactly what I need. You can't beat his price with a stick and he ALWAYS sends plenty of extras. This is the 5 time I have ordered from them and they always go the extra mile to exceed your expectations.

Our local reef club always does group orders through John. We get a group club discount plus free shipping on everything if you order enough livestock....which we always do. So if you have a local reef club, check to see about the possibility of doing a group order.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Be sure the visit our RS Sponsors threads... Reef Sanctuary - sponsors

Pays to review thier older post
010.gif

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/reefcleaners/48703-discount-members.html

Haaileybop

Wow! Thanks guys I will defiantly do that when I am ordering, and I like the idea of adding two small crews at different times. I don't want any of those guys to starve.