Cleaning Filter Socks?

Alien2100

So I've never had a system that used a filter sock, and now that I do I'm curios to see how everyone cleans there's. Currently I'm using a PM 100 micro filter sock and to clean it I'm just running it under water inside out and squeezing it clean, or as clean as i can get it. But are there any better ways to do this? Better results at least?

DaveK

Sure is a better way. Put it in the washing machine, and run a cycle. Do not use soap. Bleach may be used but is not necessary.

I usually keep about 4 filter socks and rotate them. When the last clean one gets used I run the batch.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Washing machine and bleach here, with an extra rinse cycle. Then I air dry them. I cycle through 4 also. I had switched to the mesh socks for a while, but they rarely plug up, so I figure they don't catch as much fine particles, so I went back to the felt/fabric types. These plug up in 3-4 days and will overflow into the sump if you don't switch it out before then.

steved13

PREMIUM
I just started using them per the LFS advice, I run a quick rinse in the machine first just to make sure there is no residual, wash with no soap, justy a little bleach and air dry. Washed the first one this AM came out clean. I will be rotating through 5, mine are 25 microns so they clog quicker.

Alien2100

hmm interesting, I had heard someone mention the washing machine before too. I was just worried about any residual soap residue, but I think I'll try that just maybe run a cycle before with water only, plus pick up a few more filter socks. Thanks for all the helpful advise,

r2d2

I used to soak them in a bucket with hot water and bleach, after two or three hours rinse them very, very well and hang to dry.

Greetings

lcstorc

Turn them inside out and use the water pressure from one of those garden hose attachments.