cleaning berlin sump socks???

john

i am running a berlin sump wit 2 100 micron socks.the 1 sock is pretty dirty and the water is overflowing out of it cause of this.i tried cleaning them with tap water but this doesnt seem to work!! any suggestions on a better way would be greatly appreciated!! thanks a lot john

I have/use a filter sock on my 90 gallon, and I change it every 5 days (or until the water starts overflowing) I usually just put the hose to it. I basically clean the outside of the sock, then turn it inside out, and clean the inside too. then i turn it back around and hit again with the hose.

DS

Tarasco

Put it in the washer, don't add any detergent. Should come out nice and clean after that.

dwall174

Even though you’re not using soap, Isn't there still a chance that some soap residue could be left from the previous wash?

Also I have heard that they should be cleaned good before you use them for the first time, because of something in the manufacturing process that causes your skimmer to go nuts?

mps9506

I turn mine inside out, backwash em under hot tap water full blast. Then I soak em for a few days in bleach/water. Works great. I probably replace every 4-6 months though.
Mike

mps9506

Oh yeah, remember to let them sit out for a day or two before putting them back in use. Don't want any bleach getting into the tank :) I rotate my socks every three or four days, or at least I try to.

BoomerD

When the weather permits, I hose mine off outside before tossing them in the washing machine. I use bleach only, double rinse... Then I run them again with some commercial de-chlorinator to kill any residual bleach. Hang them up outside to dry in the sun.

dwall174

Originally posted by BoomerD
Then I run them again with some commercial de-chlorinator to kill any residual bleach.
That should do it! :D
What brand or type of de-chlorinator are you using!

BoomerD

I still have some of the Aquanetics De-Chlor solution, which is just sodium thiosulfate. If you can't find it in your LFS, just go to any photo supply house and ask...might be under the name of "hypo". Great stuff. 1 drop per 2 gallons for a chlorine neutralizer, and a bit stonger for use after bleaching things.