CJ's 40 Breeder

Coraljunkie

Just bought a house and unfortunately lost most of my coral and a few fish during the move. I didn't want to give up my fish that survived so I decided to setup a 40 breeder holding/ grow out tank. For a stand I went with metal racking that holds up to 1,000lbs. I'm using another 40 breeder for a sump, I went to a local Glaser and had some pieces of. 1/4 inch glass baffles cut. I believe the sizes are all 17 3/8. 10 1/2x17 3/8, 8 1/2x17 3/8, 10x and 8x. The 10x was used for the bubble trap section, I wanted it to be much higher than the chamber just before it. I went with a pvc overflow and a toms aqualifter for insurance. Current livestock pair of clownfish, 1 blue star leopard wrasse, small rock flower anemone, 5 btas. Handful of ironman mushrooms and 2 blue mushrooms.

yungreefer2410

I love the dimensions of 40 breeders. Quite an ideal tank size if you ask me. Please post some pictures!

Would love to follow along and see how things develop.

Pc overflow as in a durso standpipe or something similar?

DaveK

... For a stand I went with metal racking that holds up to 1,000lbs. I'm using another 40 breeder for a sump, ...

What your doing sounds good, but I think your cutting things close on the stand. The SW water alone in two 40 gal tanks is going to be about 700 lbs. Add to that the weight of the tanks, rock, sand, and so on, and your very close to 1000 lbs. Typically, I'd want the stand to be able to hold about twice the weight that I pland to put on it.

Coraljunkie

What your doing sounds good, but I think your cutting things close on the stand. The SW water alone in two 40 gal tanks is going to be about 700 lbs. Add to that the weight of the tanks, rock, sand, and so on, and your very close to 1000 lbs. Typically, I'd want the stand to be able to hold about twice the weight that I pland to put on it.
You're right, it's definitely close, it seems to be holding up fine for now but I'll be keeping an eye on it.

Coraljunkie

40 breeder is in a small sitting room, meanwhile I'm trying to finish my basement man cave which will have a 180g in the wall. This is a top down view before water was added. The cycle has begun so it shouldn't be long now.

Coraljunkie

I ended up having to build a new pvc overflow because the water falling/ spilling into the overflow was emptying faster than what it could keep up with so I went with 3/4 inch instead of 1 inch and it made a huge difference. This is a picture of the old pvc overflow. I'm using the same design.