Chipmunk's DIY ATO Guide - Step by Step!

chipmunkofdoom2

Hello all, back again with more DIY scheming :D

This next DIY for my pico is for an ATO (or Auto-topoff unit), however, since this guide "overbuilds" a little, this design can really work with any tank. Since I see this design so frequently and I see so many people making these wrong, this is going to be a step-by-step with detailed instructions, with all the whos, whats, whens, wheres and whys answered that I possibly can.

NOTE: this project deals with electricity in sufficient quantities to damage equipment, harm livestock, cause fires, and even KILL YOU. I am going to be as clear and concise as possible, but if you are at all unsure about what is shown here or you are not 100% confident in your ability to work with electricity, DO NOT attempt anything here. This is no joke.

Having said that, I have no professional electrician experience... I only know enough to keep me out of trouble :D if you're fairly handy, this is something that anyone would be able to do.

The Design

This design, like so many, is based off of the classic float-switch-wired-into-extension-cord-then-pump-plugged-into-extension-cord (like this OFFSITE build). The main difference is I will NOT be running the entire load voltage from the wall through the float switch.. instead I'm going to wire in a relay. You can read a few posts down on that off-site link for more info on why not using a relay is bad, but if you're not an electrician, suffice it to say that it's not good.

A decent simple analogy: not using a relay is like trying to run the return pump of your tank through a straw.. yeah, you can probably get enough converters and reducers so that it would physically work, and it may work out for a while, but the straw was never meant to take the beating of a pump rated for hundreds of gallons per hour. The straw is meant to delicately have a liquid drawn through it, by nothing stronger than the pressure the soft tissues of a human throat can create. It might last a week, it might last a month, it might last 2 years... the point is eventually you're going to come home with a burst straw and a mess. When you're dealing with electricity, it's a lot more dangerous than cleaning up some water...

How Does A Relay Help?

In a nutshell, a relay is necessary because it allows you to use a low voltage control current to supply full wall voltage safely. Using a relay only allows tenths of a watt to pass through the float switch, making it much easier on the connections in these delicate switches. A relay IS built to take the full beating of the AC load your outlets can provide.

Here's basically how it works: You have your relay (which is about a cubic inch size-wise), and there are 2 sets of terminals. The one set on bottom is for your control voltage (basically a small AC/DC adapter like an old cell phone charger) and the other you splice into your extension cord (up top). The float switch will will be attached to the end of the AC/DC adapter, then the AC/DC adapter is spliced into the terminals for the control input. When the water level drops and the float switch opens, the low-voltage current flows through. The low voltage current passes through the relay and activates an electromagnet. This magnet attracts a strip of conductive metal toward it, and in doing so, completes the circuit. When the float switch closes, the low voltage current stops, and the electromagnet shuts off, allowing the strip of metal to spring back to its original (off) position.

In the below diagram, the water level is at it's desired height, and the float switch is closed:

124zhqh.jpg

The following picture shows the water level dropped and the float switch in the open (on) position:

2yum1c9.jpg

In the last picture, the float switch opened, and the current was allowed to flow from the AC/DC adapter to the relay, which activated the electromagnet, and allowed the wall voltage to pass through the connection.

Parts

Okay, so now that we have that out of the way, let's take a look at the parts list:

Float switch: $2.18 each (free shipping)
Relay: $6.75 (free shipping)
Any extension cord: Free (already had, $1.00 at the nearest Dollar Store if you don't have a spare :D)
AC/DC Adapter: Free (I have so many spare phone chargers from old cell phones that I'm actually happy to put them to some use)

That's pretty much it for the "meat" of the project, a total of about $10 for the electrical stuff. Other miscellaneous items you may need:

-A pump: I used a Tom's Aqualifter, but the great thing about this design is you can use just about any pump and not worry about how much electricity it needs, so long as it can plug into a non-grounded plug.
-A resivoir: something to hold the freshwater (for me, an old IO bucket :D)
-Tubing: to hook up to the pump
-Hanging bracket: this is something to hang the float switch from. I'm going to use a plastic wreath hanger, but as long as it won't rust, you can be creative and use whatever.
-Snail guard: for me, an old prescription bottle with holes drilled in it to allow water in

You may also want to get zip-ties. Basically, you can then drill evenly spaced holes in the hanger AND snail guard. Then you use the zip tie to choose the level you want it at and make sure it doesn't move, but can be somewhat easily repositioned with the help of a new zip-tie, if needed. Also, I already had a multimeter and a soldering iron and used both during this process. You could possibly get away without soldering and you might know the polarity of the AC/DC adapter you use just by looking at it, but I would try to borrow these items if you don't have them.

Construction

Now on to the actual construction! These steps can be done in somewhat different order, but this is just how I'm doing them :D

STEP 1: Attach Line Voltage to Relay

Here we connect the extension cord to the relay. The good thing about AC power is it doesn't really adhere to directions, so we can wire this any way we want. It's just basically completing the circuit anyways.

First, we have to split the extension cord. I did this with a razor blade. Be careful not to cut into the wire that is staying intact!

5z2ooh.jpg

Then cut one of the lines in half.

es712g.jpg

Lastly we strip some shielding off the ends of the cord.

bijbt4.jpg

The relay comes with metal plates secured with screws. These are really meant for quick release type connections, but I usually just wrap the wire around the screw and tighten it down, like so.

6p2kw9.jpg

Both leads attached.

2lktul1.jpg

STEP 2: Attach Control Voltage to Relay

Here we connect the old phone charger to the relay. Notice the terminals are marked and it DOES matter where we put the negative and positive terminals so the magnet activates properly. I have a multimeter and tested it out, but typically red is positive, black is negative. In my case, white striped is positive and pure black is negative.

qp4f82.jpg

Same deal, strip off some of the plastic and expose the wire, then wrap around the screw. Then reattach to the relay. Now we only want to do this with the negative lead because we'll have to run the positive one to the float switch, then back from there to the relay.

1zbx8p1.jpg

Here's the finished relay. I attached the other lead just to test the relay, and the light comes on when the relay has control voltage.

STEP 3: Wire Float Switch

Here I've run some extra wiring to reach the tank and connected it to the float switch. Here it does not matter how we wire the switch, because this just bridges the gap and allows the electricity to flow through whatever direction it wants.

Here, we had to wire some power from the positive end of the relay to the tank because the adapter wires were a little to short.

STEP 4: Create "Snail Guard" And Mounting Bracket

This one took a little ingenuity, but I eventually found a pretty decent piece at the Lowes by my office. Basically, it's for hanging things off of doors. The piece meant to hang over the door (the large hook on the left) is way too big to hang over a tank edge. The hook on the far right, however, looked perfect.

v5xsn6.jpg

I sawed off pretty much everything and left enough space so I could make the level adjustable.

14vtdgp.jpg

Now that we have the mounting squared away, we have to make a "snail guard". Now you could most likely get one of these from an aquarium retailer, but I'm going for cheap here :D

I started with an old pill bottle and washed it thoroughly to remove the label and any residue. It contained hydrocodone from my appendix removal so if anything the fish and corals will get a little buzz and mellow out :D

Disassembled and drying:

16m7fkh.jpg

Then I drilled plenty of holes to allow water flow:

34j8z28.jpg

I also drilled the top. Since the cap creates a seal, if you don't allow air to escape, water will only fill to the highest hole's level.

20r8bpw.jpg

Next I drilled evenly spaced holes in the mounting bracket and the snail guard so that I could adjust the height with a zip tie:

zimud0.jpg

2v3nh55.jpg

I FINALLY got the float switches, almost 30 days after placing my order (darn Chinese shippers :(). So here they are, I ordered an extra in case the one goes out or something.

11a8zet.jpg

Next, I drilled a hole in the lid for the float switch to go through.

21o3gwm.jpg

And here we have the fully assembled snail guard/float switch

ek1h5u.jpg

And here you can see what it looks like secured to the hanger. The good thing about this design is you can move the bottle/switch assembly up or down as needed.

jzadld.jpg

STEP 5: Wire Float Switch to Relay

This one's kinda hard to show, but basically, you connect the + from the AC/DC adapter to the one lead of the float switch, then you wire the other lead of the float switch to the + of the relay. The - on the relay goes to the - on the adapter.

And here we have everything all assembled, soldered, and taped!

hwiyxw.jpg

Finally, time to put it into action!

dcbf5e.jpg

23vknt4.jpg

3304mf4.jpg

Additional Considerations

In some builds, instead of using just one float switch, people use two. This give some redundancy, because in the case that one of the switches goes bad and sticks open (which is usually the position it dies in unfortunately, the other would still open and close normally, so your tank wouldn't overflow if one of the switches died. It would be difficult to determine if a switch had died or not without regular testing, however, so this is just something to consider if you don't mind the extra work and effort.

For a long time I sat and tried to think how I could clean this design up a little and make it more neat and tidy. The simple answer is I can't. You can program circuits and create circuit boards with built in AC/DC circuitry, but that goes beyond the realm of this DIY and my knowledge of electronics. This device might not be the most elegant, but it is a simple, darn good design when implemented properly.

All the items bought on Ebay were from Chinese sellers and were correspondingly cheap, however, the shipping takes 2 weeks+ from the time of order. Something to bear in mind. Comparable relays from other electronics sites cost $12, and that's not including the relatively high shipping prices of said dealer. Generally, these electronics are mostly made in China anyway, so it's really the difference between buying from a USA seller who's reselling, or just getting them right from the manufacturer.

You can use any float switch you want and any relay you want, just be sure the specs line up. For example, the float switches are pretty standard. Since you're only running a small amount of electricity through them, they can be rated for anything almost. The one I got for example was rated for up to 100V, .5A. Most phone chargers are only 5-12V (mine being 12v), and the relay will only pull as much current as it needs to, which again in my case is 3 - 25mA (.003-.025A). The float switch will handle this just fine. The relay is pretty simple as well, as long as it's rated for 10A or more and is rated for AC (mine is rated for 480V), you will be fine. for all but the thousands of gallons per hour pumps :D

Hopefully this clears up some confusion and de-mystifies the magical and, in my personal opinion, all-too-expensive ATO. Let me know if you have any questions, comments or concerns :D

chipmunkofdoom2

Thanks Chris, glad it helped! :D The good thing about this design is you could easily use a larger Maxijet to pump the freshwater and the system will definitely be able to handle the load.

One thing I forgot to mention is that the return line for the pump (in almost all cases) has to be ABOVE the water level. That way, when your pump shuts off, it won't siphon out all your tank water into the reservoir.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
One thing I forgot to mention is that the return line for the pump (in almost all cases) has to be ABOVE the water level. That way, when your pump shuts off, it won't siphon out all your tank water into the reservoir.

Yea where was this when I installed my first ATO? Once the water level in the ATO reservoir got to a certain low point I would hear my ATO pump cycling off and on for what seemed like an hour. Every time I'd go to the tank it would be OFF but I KNEW I could hear it.

Finally I got a chair and just sat there waiting and watching. What would happen was the ATO would fill the sump to the HIGH level and cycle OFF. When the water in the tube would back-flow it was low enough in the reservoir to maintain constant pressure and did create a back-flow pulling water from the tank UP over the top rim of the ATO tank and down into the reservoir. This would happen slowly until the LOW LEVEL sensor would kick in and turn the ATO pump back on once again filling the sump to the HIGH level. Back and forth... LOL! Guess what happened? My SG dipped a bit and the water in my ATO SOURED :LOL:

chipmunkofdoom2

Yeah not good.. haha. I can just see that vicious cycle in my head.. tank water siphons into reservoir, pump comes on, fills tank, pump goes off, water siphons off again.. bad times.

One thing I noticed on my unit was that the water level is almost perfect, but you can see just a little bit of air under the rim (which I don't like.. haha). I might try to pick up a plastic bolt and wing nut from the hardware store and use my Dremel to almost completely hollow out the bracket so I can truly put it anywhere. More to come. It works just fine for now though :D

chipmunkofdoom2

For anyone considering this build, the Toms Aqualifter is still working, but if the tank was any bigger than a 2.5 gallon, I might have a different opinion.

I was having a little bit of a salinity issue, so I drained a little bit of water and decided to let the ATO replace it with fresh to bring overall salinity down. I hadn't actually sat down to watch it before, but the Aqualifter only spits out a drop or 2 every second. It is an older pump and it has seen some use, so it may be toward the end of it's useful life.. not sure. At any rate, I'll keep an eye on it. Thankfully the relay I bought has a light on to indicate whether it has control voltage, so I'll notice if the switch has been activated for a long period. That and the low water level would be a giveaway too :D

When this pump dies I'll likely get another Aqualifter to replace it since the tank is so small (then I can do a fair comparison between new and old Aqualifter), but anyone with a larger tank should do a little research on which pumps other people seem to have success with. It's a fine line with ATOs, you want to have a pump powerful enough to get the water to the tank, but if it's too powerful, it will rush water in so quickly that even after the float switch turns the pump off, more water than intended will already be making its way to your setup.

chipmunkofdoom2

Just as an update, I think I'm going to have to replace the Toms Aqualifter. The higher water level in my reservoir helped push the water up to the tank, but now that there's only about a gallon left, the speed has fallen to a drop every 10 seconds or so. I might see if I can get the reservoir a little higher to make the pump work a little less, but I think it might be over for this little guy. Overall it probably has to pump the water about 3-4 feet and it's having trouble with that.

As I suspected though, the red light on the relay being on for an extraordinary amount of time is what tipped me off.

Maybe I'll try to repair it. Who knows. I'll keep you guys posted :hallo: