chiller for RSM400

Robert Ferro

hi all
I just buy a RedSea Max 400 LED and i want to buy a chiller for it, it must be very silent
I think of the Teco 500 but i am open to all ideas
Moreover have someone a diagram how to connect the chiller to the aquarium
thanks

DaveK

The best way to deal with a chiller is not to get one at all. Only even consider one if you have tried everything else first and those methods didn't work.

A word of warning, I don't know of any aquarium chillers that would be large enough for your tank that are also going to be silent. At best they are going to sound more or less like the sound you get from a refrigerator. Chillers will also consume a lot of power, so be prepared for a hit on you electric bill.

With modern LED lighting, DC controllable pumps and so on, the need for a chiller is greatly reduced. I have a chiller on my 125 gal system, and it almost never comes on. It's a bit of a relic from the days when metal halide lighting was the way to go. If I were doing things from scratch, I'd leave it out.

Set up you system first, leaving space for a chiller, get it running and then see if you need any additional cooling. If you need to have additional cooling, first consider using a small fan or two across the water surface of the tank and/or sump. This is often enough to get the temp drop you need, and cost far less to purchase and run.

If all else fails, and you do need a chiller, it gets plumbed into the return line from the main return pump in you sump. You want clean water flowing through it. In some cases, you may need to use a T fitting and valves to split the return pump water so only part of it goes through the chiller and the rest of it goes back to the display tank.