Checklist for Shifting a established tank

basabbc

Hi,

I have a 250 which has matured over a year now. unfortunately, i have to move to another state and right now am little concerned on how to manage the move with the tank. Want to ensure that all the corals and fish that i have there do not perish during the transfer. Are there any suggestions or checklist that i need to follow to ensure a smooth movement of the tank.

basabbc

Thanks glenn, did go through the reading. They have mentioned that they already had a cycled tank in the destination where they placed the live stock. I am driving down 600 Miles to the new destination with the packing that they had recommended. I will not have a cycled tank. Can i directly place the live stock in a new tank which is up and running just 24 hours ... If not, Any suggestion on how to handle this

In my opinion, (I'm throwing that on there cause I've never moved a reef farther than three hours of drive time) the time the tank has been running won't be a huge issue. You'll still have all the established biological filtration from your established live rock and sand (assuming you used sand). The problem is moving all of your livestock without having a die off during the trip, and then adding a bunch of ammonia to your new tank from stuff that dies on your rocks--assuming it survives the 10+ hour drive.

It sucks, but consider selling and starting over. If not, buy a couple brute trashcans, ship in those and get a power head and heater running on them ASAP when you get to your destination.

I've done a three hour move without losing fish, nems, shrimp, or corals that way. Maybe someone else on here can share insights from a longer move.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Why do you say... "I will not have a cycled tank" am I missing something, your tank is cycled & will be once moved. The only thing you will have to deal with is any die off, if any. Think of it like a lfs just ordered, LR, corals & fish from you & you are the wholesaler, just like a lfs order placed on order for deliver overnight, the order from you is just getting there quicker, you are delivering it personally, driving it there. Then it's no different, than moving the tank across the room, very little good bacteria in the water. If you manage some wc & run fresh carbon & purigen when setting up the new tank you should be fine.

See what others think...

Start a new thread in this forum - General Reef Aquarium Discussion
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/general-reef-aquarium-discussion/

and call it How to Move a Reef Tank Successfully to another State

get some input from all of RS, many RS members have successfully done this - get everyones feedback & if the thread contains advise that will help others moving in the future, I will make a Sticky out of it.

basabbc

Why do you say... "I will not have a cycled tank" am I missing something, your tank is cycled & will be once moved. The only thing you will have to deal with is any die off, if any. Think of it like a lfs just ordered, LR, corals & fish from you & you are the wholesaler, just like a lfs order placed on order for deliver overnight, the order from you is just getting there quicker, you are delivering it personally, driving it there. Then it's no different, than moving the tank across the room, very little good bacteria in the water. If you manage some wc & run fresh carbon & purigen when setting up the new tank you should be fine.

See what others think...

Start a new thread in this forum - General Reef Aquarium Discussion
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/general-reef-aquarium-discussion/

and call it How to Move a Reef Tank Successfully to another State

get some input from all of RS, many RS members have successfully done this - get everyones feedback & if the thread contains advise that will help others moving in the future, I will make a Sticky out of it.

Glenn Posted it in the other forum. My point was that i will not be carrying the water and i may have to setup the tank fresh (all new water + existing rocks + existing sands +Filtration).