changing filter media?

Ntruder

Hello,

I apologize if this has been covered before; I didn't find any relevant threads through my searching.

Anyway, I've had a 75 gal SW tank up and running for about a month now. I've got about 80-100 lbs of live sand, and probably 50 lbs of live rock along with a protein skimmer and a Fluval 405 canister filter.

The canister filter has several compartments, and I currently have half ceramic media and half carbon. I know that the activated carbon needs to be changed regularly, but I am wondering if the ceramic media should ever be changed. I am under the impression that the ceramic rings serve as an additional biofilter, hosting bacteria, so wouldn't changing this media essentially lose a lot of your necessary bacteria?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

lcstorc

If you have enough LR and a good skimmer there is no reason to keep the rings. In fact if you are going for a reef tank then they may even become a problem. They will host the bacteria that preforms part of the biological cycle but not the final step where the nitrates are converted to a harmless gas. What this tends to do is create a tank with nitrates above the recommended levels for a reef tank. If you do a search on bio-balls the rings serve the same purpose.
If you do keep them then it is important to keep them clean of detrius while not disurbing the bacteria. The best way to do that is gently swish them in saltwater until the detrius is removed.
The carbon should be changed every week or two so I would wash the ceramics on the same schedule. The other option is to get more LR and it will preform the entire cycle.

Ntruder

Thanks Lynn. Pardon my confusion, (I'm only about 6 weeks into this hobby) but is there a better type of media that I should be using? The rings and the carbon is what came with the filter. If not, whats the point of even using a filter? Doesn't the bacteria on live rock leave nitrates? My understanding from my reading is ammonia>nitrites>nitrates, change water to manage nitrate levels

Also, no corals, at least not in the near future. Just 2 tangs and about a dozen smaller fish. It'll be fish only with live rock for the time being.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Nitrates are then converted into Nitrogen gas in the DEEPER non-oxygen areas of the Live Rock and if deep enough within the sand.

Hope this helps.

lcstorc

Al's got it. The live rock has additional bacteria deep inside where there is no oxygen. This is where nitrogen is converted to a harmless gas which is then released into the air. So basically the LR is a better biological filter. With that said though, if you are going for a FOWLR tank then you can handle a bit of nitrates in your system. If you are going reef then I would go with a protein skimmer and LR instead of a canister. If you keep the canister clean you should not have a problem with your current set-up.
You are talking about a very large bio-load for that tank so I would strongly recommend a protein skimmer in addition to your LR and canister filter. It will help tremendously with keeping your water quality in line.

Ntruder

I do have a skimmer. 100g skimmer, 100g canister, 100lbs of live sand, and ~40lbs of live rock with another 50 lbs being cured

lcstorc

Sounds like a plan.
Once that LR is cured you should be in pretty good shape. Just keep up with testing and water changes and you should be set.