Chaetomorpha in RSM skimmer cup?

TonyV

I was thinking...any harm or foul committed if you placed a ball of this inside the skimmer cup on the 130D right in front of the intake grate? I know it grows fast and could slow flow but if you properly managed it's size and density, it would be ok right? The skimmer cup sits high enough that it wouldn't be visible. Just thinking out loud.

Mavjoy

Mine is behind the LRs....it might restrict flow and eventually will go thru your back chambers

Whipitup

I was thinking...any harm or foul committed if you placed a ball of this inside the skimmer cup on the 130D right in front of the intake grate? I know it grows fast and could slow flow but if you properly managed it's size and density, it would be ok right? The skimmer cup sits high enough that it wouldn't be visible. Just thinking out loud.

That's not a bad idea......gone TRY IT!!!

You will have to watch your flow rate though.

DaveK

I don't think it would be the best idea. Chaetomorpha can grow very quickly, which means it can easily clog up anything where water flows through it.

BTW, there is no problem with putting some of it in the main tank, if you don't have a refugium, and keeping that trimmed back. Like all algaes it can become a problem if it starts growing over corals and such, so you do need to keep an eye on it.

Whipitup

You will have to watch your flow rate though.

I did say you would have to watch your flow rate, and the skimmer cup is very easy to get to and therefore trim back the cheato.

[Engage brain mode ON]
It might bugger up the surface skimming though [Engage brain mode OFF]

mbdave

I put a bag of phoshate and a bag of carbon in my overflow with no clogging but those things don't grow. I say just keep an eye on it I dont think it will clog over night.