Cat's JBJ Nano Cube HQI

catran

I went to a frag swap in late October sponsored by the Fox Valley Reef Club. There were a lot of very nice people and a lot of awesome vendors there too. Surprisingly, I won the grand prize, a JBJ Nano Cube HQI. At the time, I was setting up the RSM 250, and about to start my frag tank sump. I knew it would be too close to the holidays for me to start the build, so I set my sights on starting the tank after Xmas.
To start, I had to buy the stand. I ordered the stand from Aquacave, and when it arrived (an unopened box), it was all scratched up and damaged. I contacted Aquacave and they were great. They put me in contact with the JBJ sales rep, who drove down from some ridiculously far away location and exchanged the bad one for a new one the next day at my house!
Here's a pic of the tank all ready to go:

3c1f5f6b.jpg

Yep, that's Bozo the clownfish in there!
0b4f948a.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

steved13

PREMIUM
Congrats again on the prize!! Nice to see a new thread.

I really think it's cruel to put that clownfish in the tank before it has cycled though!!

catran

Friday night, I brought in 10g's of water and one of the guys at work brought another 5g. I put a powerhead inside the tank to keep the water mixed. Tuesday, I rinsed sand all day long and brought in 40lbs of sand and some dry rock I got from an awesome friend here... Guess who! I thought that I would only need 5 more gallons of water (you think I would remember my RSM's), but I forgot about the back chamber. I only used 25 lbs of the sand. Yesterday, I brought the last of the saltwater and I plugged in and started the tank, finally!
Yeah, I know... Here's pics, lol!

973ae531.jpg

Lights off!
2335f619.jpg

Yep, moonlights.
b4fddbae.jpg

catran

Oh, a couple of things. I will do the rockscape tonight. Since its been a short week, I've been pretty busy, and tired at the end of the night. Fridays are a LOT less hectic, so this is when I'll be doing my water changes and general maintenance.

Sorry to say, Bozo was sucked into the powerhead and a piece of his tail was cut off. I promptly deemed this an OSHA recordable injury, removed him from his posing position in the tank and put him on my desk. He's now on TRW, and I've informed him that if he's not back to full duty in less than 90 days, he'll be displaced.
I have two of Doni's awesome misbar picasso clownfish waiting in my RSM 250. Actually, that is, if I can catch the little buggers. Gee, I think she has them on super roids or something. They're like trying to catch a mosquito! Lol!

catran

Very cool Cat! You have better luck than I.

Dude, I never win anything. I've been to several frag swaps, including MACNA, and absolutely, nada! I had to read my raffle ticket several times before I believed it, Lol!

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Congrats Cat! I have the 28g LED setup and my stand was scratched to all H3LL too.....but no one drove a replacement to me :(

catran

Congrats again on the prize!! Nice to see a new thread.

I really think it's cruel to put that clownfish in the tank before it has cycled though!!

No, normally I am very, very adamantly against live cycling. Since he was a "special" fish- not even requiring water...I knew he would be fine, lol!

catran

Congrats Cat! I have the 28g LED setup and my stand was scratched to all H3LL too.....but no one drove a replacement to me :(

Sorry Bryan! I must have a whinier voice, lol! The new one had a couple of rub marks on the top, but not bad. To tell you the truth, I'm kind of afraid of the stand. The tank shakes when I cleaned the glass with a mini mag!

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I was the same way Cat.....very copncerned with the construction but so far so good! Using liquid nails in the construction of it helps (i'm told)

tnwillia

Great prize & startup Cat, Have fun with it. You going to get any work done with it at your desk LOL?

catran

I was the same way Cat.....very copncerned with the construction but so far so good! Using liquid nails in the construction of it helps (i'm told)

Doggone, I wish I would have thought of that!

I have this same tank and I love it. I went from a 10 gal with PC to this and my corals are growing insane. Almost running out of room. Good luck. I'll be following to see what you put in this.

catran

I have this same tank and I love it. I went from a 10 gal with PC to this and my corals are growing insane. Almost running out of room. Good luck. I'll be following to see what you put in this.

Thanks!
Really? What kind of corals do you have in it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stretch

Has been struck by the ban stick
Bout time this popped up!! :p have fun with it!!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk