Cat's Frag Tank

catran

I believe so, the guy at the LFS didn't know what kind of mushroom. He had rubble on his base and I just glued him to the frag. I think he's trying to get off of it now... he's halfway off.
I'm a little concerned about my lighting in the frag tank. I know the zoa's and my rics don't mind but this one is more green and seems to be browning at the edges. I think I'll put it in my RSM until I get the MH set up. I'm working on it this weekend. I've decided to try schedule 40 for the hanging frame.

catran

Here's some news. I'm getting a royal gamma and a two spot/yellow candy hogfish tomorrow! Pics tomorrow night. You guys might catch site of some invisible corals. -oxymoron?

catran

Yes, local guy, I talk to him on another "site". Says it's peaceful and gets along with everyone. He's selling all his fish, wish I could have taken his Copperband Butterfly but he's 4 1/2" now. I will never put a big fish in a small tank. Learned my lesson about big fish and aggression with Cichlids!

Robzilla

You already have too many invisible corals...no more!

Great news about the hogfish. You said there was a temporary ban on buying corals but looks like you found a loophole to feed the tank obsession lol.

catran

No, the reason for the ban is because I bought too many corals! I'm signing up for a 12 step program, do you know any for corals?

catran

Okay, this is a bad day for the tank. I turned on the light and immediately spotted a small spot of cyno on the sandbed under the return. I looked in back and my refugium was full of it.
I pulled the plug and took the refugium off the tank and immediately did a w/c and started a HOB filter with carbon and phosban. I decided it wasn't enough so I filled my reactor with carbon and hooked it up too.
I really didn't have enough sand in the fuge and left the light on too long maybe.

On a positive note, I picked up my 2 spot hogfish and Royal Gamma today. The Royal Gamma is pretty big and is hiding all the time. The hogfish is not bashful and is already causing problems. He's covering my Monti frags that are on the bottom with sand! Pics to come when they both get bolder.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Don't let the Kenya take over - it can grow like a weed, dropping branches that attach all over the place - self fragging LOL! I had the same problem with an HOB fuge I had once, as well as a sump/refugium in the cabinet - lots of cyano and HA taking over and covering the chaeto. If I ever tried another fuge I'd add no substrate to it - I think that's what caused my problems with the substrate trapping detritis. Looking forward to pictures of the new fish!

Robzilla

There is a coral farm here that uses no sand except for the trays with clams and their system is amazing.

I need to figure out how to configure my fuge when I get it set up....to sand or not to sand...that is the question lol.

Hope the cyano is a quick fix!

catran

I got the little bit of cyno out. There's none in the tank now. Hopefully, no more will develop. I put a rock in my tank so the fish could hide. I thought it was important to keep the stress level down. It may have started a mini cycle.

jjmoneyman

RS Sponsor
When I started my fuge I put in dry sand and dry rocks and it got all kinds of cyno but it never effected the DT and now it's nice and clean - it just went through it's own cycle and now it clean and full of pods.

catran

I'm done with the Fuge! I'm using a power filter with carbon and Phosban and my BRS reactor with carbon for right now. I really like the reactor. I have a friend that's got a bad issue with algae and I'm thinking about buying one for that tank!

catran

Okay, I posted the really poor health of my Maxi Mini nem. I really can't see how he's going to recover at this point, his foot seems to be desintegrating. It's white and he's all curled up. I feel really bad that I can't help him and don't know if he was damaged before he was shipped or knocked around badly (he was loose in a small plastic bag). Either way, he's not getting better but he's still alive because he still moves if I touch him. Here is a pic of him yesterday (the day after I got him with the spot of white on him) and another pic of him today. The green color on him may have gotten darker. The guy at my LFS said it's really hard to kill them so who knows?

de3e3cc0.jpg

6ae351b0.jpg

catran

Tonight I'm going to attempt to install my ATO finally. I bought it for the RSM a few months ago and never used it. There's no hood and I'm using a fan on the frag tank, so the evaporation is unbelievable. I need a larger container, but for now, I'll just use a 5g bucket. I'll update tomorrow if I get it installed.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Cat - I'd seen your other thread on the anemone, but can't offer any advice other than wait & see. Hopefully it will be OK.