cats and tanks

advntrsekrs

I am still in the researching and buying stage so I have not set up my tank yet. But I do have a question for any of you that have indoor cats. Does the cat hair cause a problem? If so how do you handle it? I have two cats and they are very curious. I figure that I will definitely have to cover the top of the tank to keep them out. But I am worried that cat hair will get in the sump through the back of the stand. Any ideas, comments are suggestions are more than welcome. :)

ReefLady

Staff member
First of all, Welcome to ReefSanctuary!! :wave:

I'm not exactly what you would call a cat lover so have no experience there, but covering your sump is a good idea anyway to prevent excess salt creep/evaporation.

I had a handy friend cut a piece of acrylic with notches for the hoses, etc.

Where in TX are you? I'm a UT alum. :clink:

Travis

advntrsekrs

I am in New Braunfels. I attended UT but am the only one in the family not to graduate from there. I finished up down the road at SWT.

Craig Manoukian

My wife and daughter's cat doesn't even give my tank a second look. Has no interest in any of the equipment or inhabitants. Soory if that doesn't help much.

:) :D :cool: ;) :p :smirk:

SaltyQueen

I have a dog that sheds, but I've never found any hairs in the tank. I use an All-Glass aquarium cover, so nothing can fall into the tank (also slows evaporation). I'd suggest a cover like this for both your tank & your sump

mwrager

I hope this helps, I have 2 dogs and 4 cats. I also have 4 fish tanks. The cats leave all but one of the tanks alone. The one that they do like is a ½ gal one, they love to drink from it. As to dog or cat hair I have had no problems.
:bigblue:

Dennis7

The suggestions for covering your tank and sump are right on. I have a dog that sheds alot, never any problem with his hair.

deanerk

I have a long haired cat and although she is too fat to get behind my tank stand where my sump is, I do have to regularly clean up hair and dust that makes its way back there. My sump is also partially covered, not so much to keep anything out, but to keep salt creep and splashing in. I think household cleaners and other aerosols are more important to keep out than pet hair. JMO. My cat spends hours staring at the tank from her favorite spot on the couch across from it, but has never made an attempt to disrupt it. I think she knows my domino damsel would give her a good fight if she moved too close to his teritory. :D

wooddood

the wood dude
we have 2 cats and seem to care less about the tank and i go topless and have'nt had any problems.hth.

jks1

i also have 3 pure bred persians which equals lots of hair. Like most the cats could care less about the tanks and i havent noticed any hair in the tank

BoomerD

My "little black dog" (she follows me EVERYWHERE) thinks my 90 gallon is there just for her to have a nice warm place to sleep on. I have an occasional cat hair in the water, but have seen no problems.

advntrsekrs

Thanks everyone for all the information. I plan on covering the tank and I'll do something also on the sump. I also clean up all the cat hair on a regular basis so it seems like it really should not be a problem. That is good news. I would hate to have to shave the cats on a regular basis. They don't like baths so I was worried about having to figure out a way to actually shave them.:D :D