carbon in freshwater tank

Wayne23uk

Hi everyone I thinking of putting carbon or chemi-pure elite in my tank as I'm having problems with yellow water due to my bogwood even after soaking anybody day got any recommendations on which is best to go for I'm also in the UK so some produce can be hard to get

DaveK

The media of choice in advanced FW systems is Seachem Purigen. It is rechargeable but very expensive.
Carbon will also work and is much less expensive, but it's a one time use.
Chemi-pure elite will work too, but it's lots more expensive than carbon, and in your application will not do a better job.

Before you start, consider how dark the bogwood is making your water. If it's like tea, no reasonable amount of chemical media will fix than, and you will need to make water changes to get the color a lot lighter first.

If the water just looks yellow, then chemical media will clean that right up. You may need to change it fairly often at first.

Any new media, but especially ones that contain carbon, should be rinsed clean before use.

Wayne23uk

so basically normal activated carbon will do when I do my weekly water changesthe water is fine for about 3 days then starts to go yellow again

Dracko

I think it could be a while before you see a difference. I have had it go for several months even with twice weekly water changes. Did you soak the wood for any length of time first? You should have, there can be some nasty stuff in there. If not, I suggest at least 25% water changes twice a week until it clears. Charcoal will help. Probably does a better job than Seachem, at least to start with. I started putting my wood chunks in the toilet reservoir for a while before introducing them to the tank. If you see any unhealthy signs in the tank get that out asap and clean everything good, basically start over. Bogwood can carry a lot of deadly secrets with it.

DaveK

so basically normal activated carbon will do when I do my weekly water changesthe water is fine for about 3 days then starts to go yellow again

Yes, generally that's what you want to do. Since the water starts to yellow in three days, you may need to change the carbon sooner.

Wayne23uk

Yes the wood was soaked for a long period changing water every few days but I believe it can leach for up to a year from what if read

Frankie

RS STAFF
May be better to just invest into a diatom filter. It will clear the water quickly.
Dig the toilet bowl idea! :D

DaveK

May be better to just invest into a diatom filter. It will clear the water quickly.
Dig the toilet bowl idea! :D

Diatom filters will clear up particulate matter quickly. They will not remove the yellowing from the water caused by tannins released by the wood. This is the same for any mechanical media commonly used in aquariums. You need to use one of the chemical media for this.

Frankie

RS STAFF
Diatom filters will clear up particulate matter quickly. They will not remove the yellowing from the water caused by tannins released by the wood. This is the same for any mechanical media commonly used in aquariums. You need to use one of the chemical media for this.
Yes it will I have used it for this reason.
But let me provide proof to better educate you on the matter. Copied from there manual:
"We are sure you will find the Diatom D-1 Filter to be very valuable and versatile tool once you
have mastered its operating principles. For instance: a small bag of water softening material placed inside
the jar will aid you in controlling water hardness; or to correct yellow water we suggest you use our
SUPER-CHAR, a highly activated carbon for use in your Diatom D-1 Filter."
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...Acip_MJBbbXJHegrQ&sig2=Tdf83XRiB5I5HGP7lEZ8Ig

Last edited:

DaveK

Yes it will I have used it for this reason.
But let me provide proof to better educate you on the matter. Copied from there manual:
"We are sure you will find the Diatom D-1 Filter to be very valuable and versatile tool once you
have mastered its operating principles. For instance: a small bag of water softening material placed inside
the jar will aid you in controlling water hardness; or to correct yellow water we suggest you use our
SUPER-CHAR, a highly activated carbon for use in your Diatom D-1 Filter."
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=hg_zVOqnJMOayAS-jII4&url=http://www.diatomfilter.com/XL%20Manual.pdf&ved=0CB8QFjAB&usg=AFQjCNGtpKHP_Z-8gAcip_MJBbbXJHegrQ&sig2=Tdf83XRiB5I5HGP7lEZ8Ig

Yes, I have read Diatom's web site and have used them for about 40 years. Let's just say that on this topic the manual is a bit of hype on the part of the manufacturer.

Having tries such methods, I have found them marginal, mostly because it doesn't take too much to clog one, due to the fine filtration. Because you use a Diatom filter as an occasional filter, not all the time, it is limited in the amount of good any chemical media will have.

Your much better off placing such media in your sump or other filtration.

Frankie

RS STAFF
I was not going off of there manual but from personal experience. Just felt you may have need to see that.
I was a breeder of fresh water fish during the late 80s and 90s. Had planted tanks and such prior to getting involved in seawater keeping.
I still own the original glass diatom filter. (Motor needs rebuild)
I have also used just diatomaceaous earth to remove yellowing and saw good results.
Though I agree carbon is a much better way to clear the water.
Just don't think the idea should be dismissed so quickly because Dave knows better. ;)
I suppose a carbon reactor also would be a good investment and will help the op too keep the water clear while the wood settles in. Also water changes are going to be key.

Dracko

Yes, I have read Diatom's web site and have used them for about 40 years. Let's just say that on this topic the manual is a bit of hype on the part of the manufacturer.

Having tries such methods, I have found them marginal, mostly because it doesn't take too much to clog one, due to the fine filtration. Because you use a Diatom filter as an occasional filter, not all the time, it is limited in the amount of good any chemical media will have.

Your much better off placing such media in your sump or other filtration.

Sounds to me like this info is also somewhat outdated. You should be using at the least RO water in your tank. This negates the need to soften the water. I do both because we prefer soft water to Salina death water, but I think RO to be the better option.

StirCrayzy

,I started using the RODI for my FW tank about 20 yrs in, and noticed no noticeable benefit. However, since I had the better water, I couldn't justify NOT using it!
I will however run carbon on every FW tank because it's benefits are proven, especially in water clarification.

I've had driftwood leech for 6months, and carbon helped reduce water staining EVERY time. I can't speak for the Diatom filter performance in this scenario, because I've never tried it.

Frankie

RS STAFF
Forget the Diatom deal. Old school thinking.
Good point on the rodi. I did not use ro for freshwater back in the days. That came later after i got into seawater. straight up tap water was the source but I did let it stand for two days prior to use.

Wayne23uk

Well i have found a product called clear fx pro which is basically perigen and chemical pure elite àll in one after 24hours the water is crystal clear very impressed with it just have to see if it lasts the 6mouths it say good price as well