Canister filter

Explosivemonkey

I'm new the the saltwater world and have a few questions. first off can I just run a canister filter as a carbon reactor? and how often would I have to clean the filter? But last question can I just run the canister filter and nothing else (i.e protein skimmer)?

P.S 40 gallon breeder tank, and hopefully make it into a reef tank.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :dance:

Sure some members can advise on the canister questions...

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Hi Monkey :wave:
:rbwwelc:WELCOME to Reef Sanctuary :crowd:
I've never tried a canister filter either. I don't see them recommend very often for saltwater tanks.
I just wanted to Welcome You, Hope someone can chime in with more help on your question.
Very BEST WISHES....:cruiser:

DaveK

I'm new the the saltwater world and have a few questions. first off can I just run a canister filter as a carbon reactor? and how often would I have to clean the filter? But last question can I just run the canister filter and nothing else (i.e protein skimmer)?

P.S 40 gallon breeder tank, and hopefully make it into a reef tank.

I would not recommend a canister filter on a SW reef system. No matter what you do, it's going to become a dirt trap and nitrate factory. Now if your stuck because you already own such a filter, your going to need to clean it weekly. It's best used an a mechanical filter. It can be used as a chemical filter also, but you still need to clean it a lot.

Carbon is somewhat controversial in reef systems. Some run it all the time, some only once and awhile, others not at all. If you are going to use carbon it much be washed clean before use, and you should use a good grade of carbon. Some of the bargain carbons can throw phosphates.

Additionally there are other chamical media that are often used in SW. Phosphate removers for one are an example.

I would highly recommend a skimmer. In fact, if I had to make a choice I'd run without a canister filter and just a skimmer.

Explosivemonkey

I would not recommend a canister filter on a SW reef system. No matter what you do, it's going to become a dirt trap and nitrate factory. Now if your stuck because you already own such a filter, your going to need to clean it weekly. It's best used an a mechanical filter. It can be used as a chemical filter also, but you still need to clean it a lot.

Carbon is somewhat controversial in reef systems. Some run it all the time, some only once and awhile, others not at all. If you are going to use carbon it much be washed clean before use, and you should use a good grade of carbon. Some of the bargain carbons can throw phosphates.

Additionally there are other chamical media that are often used in SW. Phosphate removers for one are an example.

I would highly recommend a skimmer. In fact, if I had to make a choice I'd run without a canister filter and just a skimmer.
Thanks for the fast reply! And one last question can I cycle a tank with out the skimmer. Because I would think that there is nothing to skim while the cycle is going on.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Yes :nessie:

no need for a skimmer while cycling, unless you have LR with huge amounts of fresh die-off - you will be fine to add the skimmer after the cycle