Can old sand be reused and what's your best way to clean it.

Basile

Hi, i've got 2 years old sand that was in a reef tank an i wish to re-use , but i'm not sure what's the best way to go about cleaning it.

frisbee

Yeah, you can reuse the sand if you like. Just put it in a 5 gallon bucket or some other container and rinse it real good with the garden hose. Really stir it up until the water overflows the container crystal clear. Once this is done discard as much of the water as you can and then go ahead and add it to the tank. GL.

StirCrayzy

I did the bucket method, and it was really tough to get thoroughly clean because it got so deep. I've now switched to using wider Rubbermaid tote, and only go through a couple inches at a time rinsing.

Oxylebius

Yeah, you can reuse the sand if you like. Just put it in a 5 gallon bucket or some other container and rinse it real good with the garden hose. Really stir it up until the water overflows the container crystal clear. Once this is done discard as much of the water as you can and then go ahead and add it to the tank. GL.

Agree. Then rinse the sand in RODI water until the water runs clear.

DaveK

Some additional points.

If the original tank had ever been medicated, especially with copper, your much better off discarding the sand. It's cheep enough to buy new.

If the original sand was crushed coral or other "not quite right" sand, consider replacing it.

When you wash it, be careful. The sand grains will abrade against each other. You don't need to get everything out. Just wash it until the worst is gone. Any remaining material that clouds the water will settle out as the tank cycles.

Use a wide shallow container for washing the sand. I find a Styrofoam shipping box works well. The ones that are about a foot tall work very well. Fill it with 2 to 3 inches of sand and use a hose to stir it up. This is an outside project. You can wash a lot of sand easily this way.

There is no need to rinse sand in RO/DI water. The amount of water in the sand is nothing to worry about.