can i handle an octopus?

PoonHandler

i have researched them and learned they they live for an average of 1 to 2 years and im am just really stuck on how smart they are and really want one but im unsure if im ready for one or not iiv been running with saltwater for about 4 5 years and now i have a already set up but with not livestock 125 with sump cornerflows and was wondering if you think the new guy to octopuses could handle one. thx

glampka

They are the greatest escape artists around. If you do decide to try your hand at them be absolutely sure there is not even the smallest area for them to get out of the tank

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Frankie

RS STAFF
Hello Poon, welcome to RS :)

To answer your question honestly I have to say no. Octopus are one of those creatures I personally feel need to be left in the ocean.

If your interested in this type of animal why not first try your hand at cuttlefish and see how you do. Similar water quality requirements but they do not grow as big and are not as smart. Even the most experienced octo keepers have been out witted by the octo and many have found them dead outside the tank.

Not to long ago even a public aquarium had a hard time keeping up with an octo. Here is the story:

Octopus survives 5 days on the run - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Paul B

I have kept a few of them and kind of agree with Frankie. But if you really want to get one you need to keep it in a special tank. There are two ways to do it. One is to seal it with no holes at all which is tough. The other way is to lower the water level and glue something around the top edge of the glass that an octopuses suction cups can not suck to.
Like some sort of indoor outdoor carpet. Public aquariums use astroturf but a tiny octopus can climb on that and you need something with a shorter, finer nap like one side of velcro.
Their favorite food is crabs and you can buy live fiddler crabs in a bait store (if you live near the sea.)
They will also eat crab meat and pieces of fish but really love killing crabs.

PoonHandler

survived for 5 days? wow as far as escaping i dont think one would easily from my tank the top is completly sealed and i have a sump so no wires here and i cant nearly fit my pinky through anything. as far as to big i hear the get about 2=3 feet in diamater and am unsure if my 125 enough i have seen alot of poeple on youtube with there in a 65. i looked into cuttlefish but there just not nearly appealing to me :( im from virginia beach so bait shops aew wasy to come buy or i can go out and chatch crabs myself..but if u still think its a bad idea i think ill just stick with a zebra moray or something. thank you for your replied this site looks like a great place to learn

nightfire76

as long as you have a set up to keep it in and are able to keep the water stable and able to feed it then try it....some octopi dont even get that big

KARussell88

Just because oyu have a top on the tank doesn't mean an octo can't open it either though. Does sealed mean it wont open? Because if it can it will open it and get out, they are much stronger and smarter than you think. Also you say you can't fit your pinky through any hopes on the top, does that mean there are holes?
I'd say don't try it. I personally think they aren't meant for home tanks anyways.

PoonHandler

sorry i discribed it wrong its completely covered but on the back of the glass canopy there is a plastice piece that slides on it where there is a slight seam i figure placing a brick ontop of it will keep it from being pushed up

Paul B

They will also crawl through tubes like the one you may have going to your sump. A 6" octopus can easily fit through a tube as big as your pinkie

PoonHandler

yeh ill have to make sure my conerflows are sealed off well..thank you guys for your help i think i may try this hopefully i wont fail i was gonna order one off liveaquaria unless anyone else knows a better place?

LittleFish

Have you decided to order one? Any updates? I'm interested to see how it works out for you. I'm still too intimidated by them to try getting an octopus.

BigFish11

I have had a octo in a nano cube before, I did put astro turf around the tops on the tank, they hate the feel of that stuff and it worked. However, i have to say that they are not as entertaining as you might think. Mine, named Judy would hide in a rock all day long, i only knew where she was because of the hermit graveyard infront of the hole. I would come home at night when all the lights were off and she would be checking for a way out. The only solid spot of an octo is its beak so they can escape for any hole they can find. I have heard they have intellegance of a 4 year old, i dont know if thats true but they are smart so good luck.

lbiminiblue

yeah i can attest to that... i chased down an octo in bimini for 10 minutes. about the size of a clenched fist- insanely strong for it's size and super smart. almost yanked the net out of my hand.

StacyS

Lol...so true. I worked in a fish store when I was a teenager. We had a octopus that we could not keep in his tank. He snacked very well at night and we had to hunt him in the morning. Couldn't get rid of the thing fast enough!