Can FOWLR be converted into Reef system without removing fish

fowlerjasont

Hey friends...I have a 50 gal FOWLR tank and Im looking to get into corals. Is it possible to do that without removing fish. Really my question is what are the affects of adding corals into the tank and are they harmful to fish. Is it similar to adding fish, add small amounts at a time to limit ammonia? My lighting is sufficient for a reef and would like to do so. Please any feedback would be great!! thanks

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
They don't produce near the waste that fish do. The limiting factor will be what fish you already have in the tank. Are they coral eaters or nippers? Depending on what corals you want to keep, you'll have to pay a little more attention to some of the other water parameters, ie Calcium, Magnesium, and alkalinity. Flow can be important as well. With all that being said, a lot of reef keepers started out with fish only tanks.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Great advice from John.

I started FO then went FOWLR and then moved up to REEF.

As John pointed out it's really the opposite of what you're asking.. the fish are potentially harmful to your coral like eating, nipping, and even in their biological makeup. Fish are messy and nasty (in terms of waste production) and coral require you to be on top of your game in regards to water chemistry. This is why many of us start out FO and once we're able to keep that stable long-term move up until we reach REEF status... that's when water chemistry and husbandry really get interesting.

fowlerjasont

I have a yellow tang, blue hippo tang, clownfish, flame angel (dwarf), blue chromis, banggai cardinal, neon goby, cleaner shrimp, peppermint shrimp, and clean up crew with hermits and snails. Im pretty sure all of these fish are reef safe and I bought them with that in mind...ok thats very good to hear...ill do the necessary research for particular corals. thanks for the advice

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
nothing i saw in that list jumped out at me as potentially dangerous to corals, with the possible exception of the angel. None of the "angels" are considered reef safe, more often they are listed as "with caution". Not to say it cannot be done, its a hit or miss. Angels are known to go after soft corals, but that doesnt mean that dwarf angel will.

Choff

Agreed, only the flame is at issue and of all the angels that is as close as you can get to reef safe. Although, I thought it was sps polyps they tended to nip at, not softies.

Each fish is different though, so you really never know.

Go for it.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
I could be mistaken on that score, its been a while since i read about them. Im not willing to risk it, but some do.

yungreefer2410

On another note, I would say your tank is a little on the small side for those two tangs as they are larger fish and require more swimming room. Also, what kind of lights do you have? "Reef sufficient" lighting can mean many things