Calcium

W Churchill

Posted this elsewhere, but I guess it's best here.

I've been using Tropic Marin balanced calcium supplement from the beginning but always keep some Salifert Calcium on hand in case I need to add calcium without raising the alkalinity (I also keep some buffer on hand just in case as well)

For ages now I haven't needed to add the Salifert calcium or the buffer as the balanced supplement has kept things, well, balanced.

This however does leave a residue on the floor of my marisys (bit like a sump) which unfortunately creates a snow storm in the tank when I delve into the marisys to clean the filter medium. My corals don't visibly appear to be too upset by this, but I guess they likely are.

So I'm wondering whether to swap from a balanced supplement to calcium and buffer in separate supplements. I do have a regular routine with what I do and am able to keep my calcium levels to +/- 5 ppm at all times and my alkalinity to +/- 1 dKM.

I just wondered what you guys do and which you think is best and even if the two part supplement route is preferred whether it's now worth abandoning what has become a very efficient method of maintaining correct levels.

Oh I change 5% of my water every third day which I guess helps stability quite a bit.