Calcium at 750

recole

My calcium level is sitting at 750. I know this is high but everything in my mixed reef 75 gal tank is doing well. Should I slowly decrease this level to get it down? By the way, if anyone has heard of this, I have been using the GARF "bullet proof" addition of chemicals for quite some time with good results. Hard to keep PH up though (now at 8.0). and alk is about 7-8 KH. All other readings are good.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
I would suggest having that test done again with a different or newer test kit. Ca is no longer dissolvable in saltwater above 500ppm at average alkalinity. You would have Ca powder all over your tank at 750ppm!

chipmunkofdoom2

Calcium, pH and alkalinity are so closely related that a calcium level that high would indicated a serious problem. Try a different test kit if everything else seems normal.

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
I agree with the retest but you can get Calcium that high with no snow storm. With an alkalinity of 8 dKH and a pH 8.0 you can achieve, without any snow-storm, Caclium levles of 800 ppm. Now, you jack that pH up or the Alk it is now another issue. The rate of precipitation would be similar to Calcium at 500 ppm, alkalinity at 13 dKH and pH 8.0. So, what ever you do recole, DO NOT raise the pH above 8 or the Alk above 8 dKH.

recole

Thanks to all, I'll retest with a standard (assuming I have one). This test kit cost me a small fortune. Hope it's reliable.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I agree with the retest but you can get Calcium that high with no snow storm. With an alkalinity of 8 dKH and a pH 8.0 you can achieve, without any snow-storm, Caclium levles of 800 ppm. Now, you jack that pH up or the Alk it is now another issue. The rate of precipitation would be similar to Calcium at 500 ppm, alkalinity at 13 dKH and pH 8.0. So, what ever you do recole, DO NOT raise the pH above 8 or the Alk above 8 dKH.

Thanks Boomer. I did not know that.

See I learn new stuff every day around here (hourly actually).

Great input Boomer :)

I would retest with another kit, have another reefer test or take some water to your local LFS for test. What salt are you using? We have been through this too and it's frustrating.

turbiville

I just got my second "750" result, I am using the red sea kit. I really don't like the test, but I have never used another so I don't know if I would like another one any better.

I got 750 two weeks ago, and again today. The tank is less than a month old and I have not used any supplements yet.

I would love to find a test kit with fewer steps, suggestions?

lcstorc

Calcium tests generally have several steps. Are you sure you are reading the test correctly? When I did mine first I read the results upside down and came up with completely insane numbers.

turbiville

Calcium tests generally have several steps. Are you sure you are reading the test correctly? When I did mine first I read the results upside down and came up with completely insane numbers.

My test involves counting how many 1/100 of a ML of regent it takes to turn the solution blue.