C 250 - Possible to use the accessory pipe unit (for a chiller) with a canister filter?

Salty150

I was wondering if it was possible to use the accessory pipe unit (made for a chiller) with a canister filter?

In other words, instead of using the inlet piping and outlet piping of the canister filter - can the accessory piping be used instead to connect to a canister filter?

I would assume, so... but...?

That way you could use the canister filter for both more filtering and to do water changes.

DaveK

Usually canister filters are not the best choice for a reef system. Adding one to a working system would tend to be counter productive. This is because canister filters tend to become big oxygen consumers, major dirt traps and then nitrate factories.

From a pure could you do this standpoint, I'd say it's possible. I think you get more out of the system by adding additional circulation from a circulation type pump.

Salty150

Usually canister filters are not the best choice for a reef system. Adding one to a working system would tend to be counter productive. This is because canister filters tend to become big oxygen consumers, major dirt traps and then nitrate factories.

From a pure could you do this standpoint, I'd say it's possible. I think you get more out of the system by adding additional circulation from a circulation type pump.

I am wanting to use the canister filter (Fluval G3 - VERY easy to clean and change media) for more filtration - not for more flow.

I agree that if you do not do routine cleaning of the canister filter (or anything for that matter) then there could be a problem - I am pretty good with a weekly cleaning/maintenance routine.

Like I said, I am pretty sure the accessory pipes that are set up on the C-250 could be used for the canister filter - as the canister basically does what a chiller does - it just cleans instead of cooling the water.

Also, adding a canister filter makes water changes a breeze - you just use the inlet hose of the canister filter to suck the water out of the aquarium into one bucket - and then you use the outlet hose to suck the new saltwater out of your newly mixed saltwater bucket into the aquarium - easy and no mess!

DaveK

I honestly can't see your desire to add something like a Fluval canister, especially and expensive one like a G3, to a SW reef system. It only turns over about 185 gal per hour and that's only about 3X in a C-250. I think you'll end up spending a lot of money for marginal results at best.

As for ease of water changes, yes, you can remove water that way, but it's even better if you use water change times to also muck out the tank a bit and get material that is on the top of the sandbed.

The C-250's filtration system is fairly decent to start with. If you feel you need to upgrade it, I think your best results would come from a skimmer upgrade.

Trinny

I had a similar thought a little while ago but then thought it might be a little messy and I'm not sure how much water can be pumped out of the rear sump before the section you are pumping from runs dry?

Salty150

I had a similar thought a little while ago but then thought it might be a little messy and I'm not sure how much water can be pumped out of the rear sump before the section you are pumping from runs dry?

Why would it run dry?

silver97

Don't invest in a canister filter. I am regretting not taking the extra time setting up a sump and buying one instead. Granted you probably have a sump, if you need extra filtration use the money for your canister filter and look for ways to improve the sump.
They are a pain in the neck to clean, even if they make water changes a whole lot quicker. It's best not to try and cut corners with this kind of thing. They will end up producing more nitrates than you can imagine, even if you keep up a good water change schedule. Take this from my experience-they are not worth it.
I only have a 40 gallon reef, if you have a C-250 I would not want to take a chance screwing that big of a tank up.

Salty150

Don't invest in a canister filter. I am regretting not taking the extra time setting up a sump and buying one instead. Granted you probably have a sump, if you need extra filtration use the money for your canister filter and look for ways to improve the sump.
They are a pain in the neck to clean, even if they make water changes a whole lot quicker. It's best not to try and cut corners with this kind of thing. They will end up producing more nitrates than you can imagine, even if you keep up a good water change schedule. Take this from my experience-they are not worth it.
I only have a 40 gallon reef, if you have a C-250 I would not want to take a chance screwing that big of a tank up.

I used canister filters on my saltwater fish only tanks years ago - and never had a problem with them.

You just have to clean them at a set schedule.

Plus the Fluval G3 is VERY easy to clean - you can even leave it running while doing so.

You just pop open the top and take out the two cylindrical cartridges and clean them every week, snap them back in, put the top down, and that is it - takes 5 minutes.

You do have to give it a good cleaning once a month.

mike1970

Or Purigen and Chemi-Pure Blue :)
if you going to add a closed looped system like a canister filter . you will be better off with a GFO/Carbon reactor you could put the Chemi-pure and Purigen in the reactor that would work but get expensive.