HELP! Buying used tank

DaveK

For the price, as long as the glass is not chipped or damaged and the frame is not broken or damaged, you can't go too far wrong. However, you do need to take into account what equipment will need to replaced, repaired or upgraded.

For example, note the light in the tank. It's bright in the center and dim on each side. This may mean they tried to skimp on the lighting, and you may end up upgradeing or replacing the lighting.

It's almost impossible to move a sandbed. Either really wash the sand to get everything out of it, or replace it.

Mrs.Rich

For the price, as long as the glass is not chipped or damaged and the frame is not broken or damaged, you can't go too far wrong. However, you do need to take into account what equipment will need to replaced, repaired or upgraded.

For example, note the light in the tank. It's bright in the center and dim on each side. This may mean they tried to skimp on the lighting, and you may end up upgradeing or replacing the lighting.

It's almost impossible to move a sandbed. Either really wash the sand to get everything out of it, or replace it.

Thanks Dave! Yes I noticed the light issue. Do you think I should negotiate due to the lighting or is the price fair? As far as the last picture what setup would you say they have? I’m not sure if drilled and sump were the same. I did my research but it was a while back and I need a bit brushing up.

Uncle99

I would buy new glass, new sand.
The issue I have about pre-owned tanks is you don't know the history.
Seals can be worn or damaged.

Keep in mind that your "glass box" is your animals home, if it fails, their toast.

If you are confident in its condition, go for it

DaveK

Thanks Dave! Yes I noticed the light issue. Do you think I should negotiate due to the lighting or is the price fair? As far as the last picture what setup would you say they have? I’m not sure if drilled and sump were the same. I did my research but it was a while back and I need a bit brushing up.

Like many other things in the hobby, it depends. The price your getting for everything is a bargain. If the condition is good, I'd tend to take it as is.

You do have a lot of people that get into the hobby, find out how costly it can be and how much time can be involved, and decide to get out. Sometimes you find used gear that is only been in use a year or so.

Mrs.Rich

I bought it! Thank you! In you’re opinion how should I go about setting my tank up with used LR? Some of the rocks have algae on them but they have a cleanup crew of snails. He seller tank looked great before take down and it appeared to already be cycled. Should I replace the sand, clean the tank and add the rocks as is? Or should I wipe out everything and start fresh? The tank has been running for a year.