HELP! Bulkheads: gasket and hole questions

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by vsiege, Jul 7, 2019.

1. vsiege

vsiege Active Member

I have drilled holes for 2 x 1/2 inch bulkheads as well as 1 hole for my new overflow box. The overflow box brand is Eshopps Eclipse M, and I'm using 2 schedule 80 bulkheads from BRS.

1. Do I need to do anything more to the holes once they're drilled, as I noticed the holes in some areas could be a little bit cleaner, but the gaskets were surely cover these imperfections?

2. Other than the gaskets that came with the bulkheads and the overflow box, do I need to add any sealant between the gasket and the glass?

Thanks
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. DaveK

DaveK Well-Known Member

You might want to go over the edges of the hole with emery cloth just to smooth them a bit. This is not strictly necessary.

All you nees is the gasket, but if you want to be extra sure you can coat the gasket with a thin layer of silicone sealer before you install it. Do not over tighten the fittings. Uncured silicone is very slippery and it's easy to squeeze a large amount of the gasket out. only about 1/4 to 1/2 turn beyond hand tight is all that is needed.

nanoreefing4fun likes this.
  3. vsiege

vsiege Active Member

Thank you. I installed the bulkheads and the Overflow today and did a test with water. No leaks were found.

Side note, I wish I would have mounted the Overflow a touch higher, that would have required me to modify the original template. Maybe there's another solution so that I can get the water level a bit higher. I'll have to put some thought to it.

Thanks for your help and your response.

nanoreefing4fun likes this.