Bulkhead rubberwasher?

BigReepher

When installing a bulkhead in a tank, should the rubber washer go on the inside or outside of the tank? I've seen it done both ways, does it matter? I apologize for my ignorance.

Scooterman

They should go on the Inside, the threads should go out & don't over tighten them, it will twist the rubber or cut it.

Last edited:

linesides

Scooter is right, by tightening the nut against the washer you not only risk a slight twist in the washer, which COULD cuase a leak if the twist begins to fold, you also my try to overtighten,trying to get rid of of said leak, which could cuase the glass to crack, cuasing even worse leak.

JennM

The nut goes on the outside, the washer on the inside. The washer is to keep water IN... therefore it goes inside.

We plumb tanks all the time, this is the only way we do it. Hand-tighten the bulkhead from the bottom outside - be careful not to over tighten or you can crack the glass or the bulkhead.

Jenn

rDr4g0n

i know this thread is ancient, but im doing a bulhead install right now and i needed the info. i thought i rememebred reading that the washer goes on the outside so that it isnt constantly exposed to the saltwater which quickly degrades its quality.

Scouter Steve

The actual threads on a bulkhead are not designed to be water tight. Therefore you are suposed to keep water away fron threads. Usually the rubber is inside and nut outside. If you put the washer outside (reversed for some reason) water will leak through threads and still be up against the rubber. Hand tighten and then check for leaks. I have heavy duty bulkheads on my 125 and they did need a little more tightening but go very slow as it is in all parts of this hobby.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Rubber gasket goes on the inside; teflon tape the outside threads and hand tighten the outside nut.

rDr4g0n

i was saying that the nut goes on teh outside, but the washer on teh outside too. the only reason i mentioned that is because i read somewhere that this would have the washer minimally exposed to the saltwater which would prolong its life.