BTA Problems/Questions

TAMPATIM

So I added a BTA about a month ago. First two weeks he was great.he quickly attached to rock and about a week later hosted my clown. Since then he moved and hid under the rock. Mostly closed up but still attached and moving(slightly opening) I was moving the rocks and I exposed him. It moved again and is now hiding deeper in the rocks.

How is it living without strong light? It’s almost completely in a cave. How can I feed it? What do I do?

Nitrates are at 0. Have a small phosphate issue but I’ve lowered it to about .10 so far...

TIA

Uncle99

I have a BTA and my phosphate is same as yours so I don't think this is a problem. He seems to be hiding from your light.
What light are you using, wattage, and would you happen to know the PAR. If not would you call the light strong? Did you start him at the same light level you were using? What's the colour spectrum if you know
What about flow, is it strong, moderate or weak.
Don't worry about feeding him. They do not require much feeding, maybe a quarter inch square of shrimp twice per month at the most.
Nems will move around until they are happy, he seems to want to shade himself.
Tell us more if ya can

TAMPATIM

I am using the Steve’s LED retrokit. It’s 100w full spectrum 14k (I’m running at about 30%) the light has been the same since I introduced the BTA to the tank.

http://www.stevesleds.com/Biocube-29-LED-Turbo-Upgrade-System--Plug-and-Play_p_298.html

As for flow I have the Biocube stock return pump and a Jebao PP4. I’d say it’s moderate flow.

In its current position it looks like barely any light at all can get to it. It was closed up tight this morning to the point I thought it was gone but tonight it’s bubbled back up (about half the size of it when it was hosting out in the open)

Squatch XXL

Keep an eye on it and if it is not attached, perhaps use a gentle stream from a powerhead to move it....If it is attached, I would let it be. I turned off my lights for 3 days last year, and since I get ambient light, mine detached and was floating around. for 2 of it....just wandering about the tank.

When lights were on, it quickly found a quiet spot and has been there since. they have a habit of going where they want.

have you fed it at all, and what?

Uncle99

Looks like the tank is ok
It is not unusual for nems to shrink up for up to 3 days.
This is how they crap.
You have seen some small positive change.
Watch carefully and no food for now

TAMPATIM

Keep an eye on it and if it is not attached, perhaps use a gentle stream from a powerhead to move it....If it is attached, I would let it be. I turned off my lights for 3 days last year, and since I get ambient light, mine detached and was floating around. for 2 of it....just wandering about the tank.

When lights were on, it quickly found a quiet spot and has been there since. they have a habit of going where they want.

have you fed it at all, and what?

It is attached. I fed it mysis when it was out and open twice. I just can’t believe it doesn’t need light. It’s been two weeks since it was in the open...

Uncle99

Ultimately he will need light but that's what puzzles me.
How long has this tank been running.
At least 6 months?

Uncle99

Important
If he dies he will start to disintegrate
If he does this, remove or he will poison the tank hopefully this is not the case, but you need to know
Give him some time, tell us if there are any changes + or -

Uncle99

Yup, he's shrunk up for sure!
Looks like his foot extends way into the rock which is OK.
He looks ok just shrunk.
Give him 48 and tell us more!
Water us perfect right?

Temp 78.....via 2 digital averaged
SG 1.025.....via refractometer
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 0
Phosphate 0
Source And Top Off.....RODI

If the answer is YES to all, then I see no reason this animal will not puff back out in time.....but under a week.

What is the clown doin?

Squatch XXL

You use led lighting?

Tank is 7 months, was rock live/cured?

It could be a mix of things.

feeding? I turkey baste mine with a mix of meaty food chunks....basic chum. Grocery store fresh stuff blended up chunky.

If he dies he will start to disintegrate

There really isn't too much to one. most of it will float out in a skimmer and you may get a change in ammonia, but it won't be large. The flesh of even a large one has no mass. Its just water weight.