BSJF questions from someone still researching ahead

dragonfire

Hey guys, love the club links!

Anyways, I've read a bunch of descriptions and advice from multiple sources on BSJF but have a couple of questions you guys might like to tackle.

1. I've only seen on one site that BSJF may attack ornamental shrimp. Is this true? If so, what type of shrimp are we talking about (are cleaners and peppermints OK but the smaller rare varieties in trouble)?

2. I see that live foods are appreciated, but prepared foods are also potential diets. What have you guys tried as far as diet starting out--all live, a mix, or do some people mostly do frozen right away?

3. Fast fish as tankmates are not ideal, but I don't know where firefish fit into this category? These are generally peaceful fish, but when they get going, they get going!

4. Covering is an absolute must! I currently have fiberglass screen covering my tank which doesn't block the light, doesn't have sharp edges, and can be cut to any size I want easy (just like the screens in screen doors but absolutely no metal). If this is a flimsy material, however, will I need to worry about weighing it down so that a BSFJ's momentum doesn't just lift it up as it goes up and out? Anyone else try this as a cover? I have a large area of water return from my filter that probably can't get screened in. Any suggestions?

5. I haven't read anything about lighting mattering to these fish. I have a dual T5HO light fixture (nope, no corals as a consequence). Any concerns there?

Well, those are a couple of questions I've had off the top of my head, but anyone could reply with any of their favorite "do's/don'ts/glad I'd done/wish I'd thought of" posts!

Thanks guys!

bluespotjawfish

Welcome Dragonfire,

1. I have a cleaner shrimp in with mine. However, I have put in several peppermint shrimp in this same tank and they disappear. I've never seen my BSJF show any interest in what the shrimp are doing. And, I have other potential culprits though (bar goby...).

2. I would stay away from live food personally, too much risk of introducing parasites. Frozen Mysis Shrimp or Krill is probably the easiest to get them to start eating, but once settled in they will take most foods. Stick with the most nutritional foods and soak food in supplements such as Zoe and Selcon.

3. A firefish should be fine.

4. Have you seen the windowframe tops? Mine is a 6-sided one to accommodate my overflow. I just leave extra netting on the outside to drape over the overflow area. I have had my Bluespot go down the overflow, but I just tuck the screen in closer now and haven't had any more issues.

5. Nope.

dragonfire

Hey, thanks for the reply!

That's great about the firefish and cleaner shrimp (the ones I was really worried about). I guess I'll take my chances with the peppermint shrimp; more than willing to remove these shrimp if things get ugly. I'd be thrilled if live foods won't be necessary, I was not looking forward to that prospect and none of my other fish require it.

OK, now for the coverings...I have a SeaClear acrylic tank with several rectangular openings and nothing that came with it to cover them tightly. I have a hang-on-the-back filter and an in-tank protein skimmer, so some of these openings have to remain unblocked (no sump). I used to cover the main openings (given that I have firefish) with thin, plexiglass plates--MAJOR OVERHEATING!!! Yikes! I have since switched to the screen approach that I talked about before and can control the temp just fine now. I have never actually seen any firefish jump, though I know they can, so I don't know if the screen is effective or not.

I am not sure what type of window closure you are referring to. Could you describe it a bit more? Given a few more details that I mentioned above, would this still work for my tank? What are your thoughts about the water return from my filter?

bluespotjawfish

I have an HOB overflow and return line on my system that I have to work around. However, mine is a glass tank and I do have a rim on the top that the screen sets inside. It probably won't work on your setup. What about adding weight to the corners of the screen and/or using magnets to secure the screen better.

The screen top you currently have would prevent 90% of the potential jumps, but it is heartbreaking if/when they jump out of that little hole and you kick yourself for not doing a better job on that last 10%.

SeahorseBT

1. No, I have mine in with sexy shrimp and peppermints, he never bothered them.
2. I do frozen right off the bat, live is too much of a hassle.

dragonfire

OK, I'll see what I can come up with to make the screen sturdy for high momentum jumps. I think weights will be the way to go. Thanks guys!

Anselth

Dragonfire,

Lorraine gave you some pretty good advice. Mine ate frozen right away, but he was also the first fish into my tank. Mine also only seems to be bothered if anyone gets too close...I have a Wrasse, a dwarf angel, and a Kole tang in my tank, all pretty active swimmers, and there's no aggression or fear demonstrated by the BS.

lcstorc

I have a fire shrimp and a peppermint and I don't think the blues have ever looked at them.
I feed them just like anybody else in the tank except sometimes I spoil them by target feeding and putting fairly large pieces of krill right in front of them. This worked great until my Tomini tang figured out what was going on.
The importance of covering all openings cannot be stressed enough. I have seen them get through spaces the same size as their body. They are amazing jumpers and I believe that is the #1 cause of death of captive bluespots.