Bryopsis

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
So yes.....I have it but the good thing is I only have 1 fish in my tank and no corals. My approach is going to be using Tech M from Kent - picked up 64 ounces today. Meausred my current level with the Elos test and it came in at 1,350 (good salt :)).

Question to you all - how fast should I raise the Mg?

It says that 1ml per gallon will raise it 18.3ppm per day.......

Can/Should I super dose?

Thanks!

BK ;)

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I dosed 80 ml to start.........i'll up it to 100 tomorrow.

Thanks guys

Dweezil

Good Luck....the bright side is that you have no corals in there yet and you don't have much of it :)

MAXreefer

Hey BK,
we talked a bit about it in my build thread and you asked how fast you could raise your Mag.

You can raise your Mag safely about 100ppm per day.
I had no corals or fish in the tank and therefore raised it more over a day. I have a CUC in the tank and it didn't bother them at all when I raised the levels.
My Mag was 1350 and raised it with the cheaper Mag from BulkreefSupply to around 1500 and then added the Tech M to raise the level up to 1550-1600. Within a day I saw the Bryopsis starting to die off. I kept the levels high for 3 days and it was all gone. To be safe I kept them high for another 2 days and didn't see any new growing. Will bring it down slowly now just by doing my regular water changes.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Sending samples to John on monday for a positive ID but he doesn't think it is bryopsis. after some internet research, i wonder if it is Green Hair Algae - derbasia.....

GlassMunky

I had some stuff that looked ALOT like that in my 29G that was taking over. I added a fuge and its never come back. Just grow algea elsewhere so it cant take over in your DT.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I'd love a fuge but my problem is room.....still trying to find a way to make it work, I'm thinking the small aquafuge may be the way to go if i can get it to fit!

livebait

I had stuff that looked exactly like that right after my 90 cycled. John ID'd it as a cladophora...type of hair algae. As nutrients deplete it's disappearing, the CUC is taking care of the rest.
I'm sure he'll tell you the same thing. :)

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I think I'm winning (no I don't have tiger blood).....did a big 25% change today and i siphoned about 60% of this "algae" out of the tank!!!!! It seems to be getting weaker and the water change has seemingly reenergized my snails (don't think they liked the high Mg)......so here to winning my first battle :clink:

Once i get things stabilized, I plan to get the first coral. Also I've been seeding my filter sponge for the QT tank......Can't wait to get my little YWG!

GlassMunky

maybe even just putting some cheato in the rear chamber of the cube with an underwater light
Or even in the DT if you can kinda hide it from view or just keep it contained

nunlef

Hi,
I was wondering if you had update on your clado/bryopsis issue. I have been trying to treat bryopsis, but your picture looks more like what I have than anything else I've seen.
thanks