Bryan's 120 Reef

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Well friends, it is time to start a thread on my plans for upgrading my tank. Thanks to you all, I feel this tank is well thought out and will fit my needs for size, maintenance and most importantly please the wife :) (there has been a lot of debate!)

The following is the equipment build:
- 120 gallon custom starphire (3 sides) tank, rimless and eurobraced from Miracles with a center overflow. Herbie style drains with 2 returns
- R&J Xtreme oak stand - adding left side doors for access
- Lifereef CLF1 sump and life refugium. LR skimmer, 3 reactors and mag pumps to drive it all -
- 2 Ecotech Radions
- 2 MP40 wES (adding additional BBU)
- Repurposing current Apex - Adding the WXM and VDM modules. Adding an additional E8 bar
- Tunze Osmolator for ATO

Live stuff (to start):
- Thinking fiji pink for sand (suggestions welcome here)
- LR - I have 40# of dry rock turned live, ~25# of dry rock and ordering 100# of uncured Manado from Premium Aquatics (stuff looks primo)
- not sold on the dry rock approach just yet and this live stuff looks neat so what the heck

My plan for the tank is to be a full out reef. I have a bunch of favorite stuff that I need to work through to see if I will put it in the tank (like a carpet nem) and I'm still asking the wife for her input in fish - thinking of going tang-less though.

I'll have a bunch of questions about your opinions going forward so I decided to house it all here instead of random threads or hijacking someone elses :)

Cheers - Bryan

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Hey Brandon,
It is going to be internal......going rimless and stuff I didn't want all that plumbing in the back. I know I lose some room but it was debated and "sleek and clean" won!

Totally understandable dude. With almost 24" front to back you still have lots of room for rockscape. What will the footprint of the overflow be?

Do you think you can actually stand strong and not have any tangs in there? That would be a serious test of willpower for me:) LOL

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
The overflow size and hole sizes are the last two details i have to work out before he starts making it. Communication slowed around the holiday here so guess he will get moving come the new year.

As for your questions........no I don't think i can stay away from tangs but i do know they will be the last one in after a long QT process!!!

Definitely not dealing with ich

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Dude this is exciting. I'm following. I'm saving u back gsp n Xenia to give it a good start. Haha

Woohoo Matt has tapatalk back

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Great to hear the build is moving along.

I will be following.

Thanks Steve - You've helped me alot a long the way so hopefully you take a little pride in the build!

Dude this is exciting. I'm following. I'm saving u back gsp n Xenia to give it a good start. Haha

Thanks Matt. I'm excited for it as I have a whole bunch f side projects i want to do with it as well.

I'm planning to have in February - lifereef has a long wait time on the sumps - ordered it in November and he is estimating mid Feb so until i get it plumbed and stuff it might be early March until it gets wet.

Thanks for tagging along!

dmatt88

U can always use a hob while you r waiting.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Thanks for stopping by Sas. I wish I did start earlier but I had to drop a small fortune on the Mrs's finger so it took me a bit to lick my wounds and not choke when thinking about how a 1,000 gallon awesome fish tank is represented by a ring on a finger.

Haha

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Thanks for stopping by Sas. I wish I did start earlier but I had to drop a small fortune on the Mrs's finger so it took me a bit to lick my wounds and not choke when thinking about how a 1,000 gallon awesome fish tank is represented by a ring on a finger.

Haha

women and shiney stuff lol, praise the lord for bling and a blind eye

Stretch

Sweet! Glad you FINALLY made a decision! :jester:

Im lookin forward to following along!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

dmatt88

Oh a ring on a finger vs fishtank. There's jokes floating around our heads.........

Blue Space

Bryan - Sorry to hear about the ring... uh... I mean great to hear about the new build! ha ha! :D Looking forward to the adventure.