Bryan's 120 Reef

steved13

PREMIUM
Bryan, when you test the depth, don't forget to account for reaching down and into the furthest you'll need to. In other words if the tank is 30" front to back you'll need to reach 27" down and back 24" or so. I have no problem reaching at the front of the tank but when I have to reach toward the middle my arm gets shorter :) Also, it's much easier to scape and place from the front than the back of the tank. I'm forced at times to place something from the rear, and I end up having to move it a few times when I look from the viewing side again.

Something I didn't really think of and I wish I had. Some of it is absolutlely un-avoidable, but nice to consider it in your decision...especially if you're going custom built.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I hear you Steve.....I think I need to do some practical practice here to see how it goes.

I'm on a PAR kick with this new tank so I'm trying to determine scape and size so that i get enough rock placement areas at different PAR ranges. This lead me to believe that the higher the tank, the more PAR ranges I could get but I think I need to take a practical look at the height to your point.

I'm way over thinking this but what the heck, I have time! Thanks Steve

steved13

PREMIUM
On the PAR subject, Something else I noticed with the deep dimension tank, (pretty much common sense, but it wasn't in the front of my mind) when I move a coral on the bottom there is a big difference in par moving front to back or side to side from the light. I have a trachy and without thinking I slid it toward the front, just to give room around everything, after a week or so I realized it wasn't liking it too much and I slid it back a little more directly under the light and it perked back up.

I guess I'm saying don't foget about side to side and front to back also...you can use all 3 dimensions.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
OK so it looks like I am moving away from the rimless tank. After going through the fish that I want, i am going to need to either put a canopy of netting on the tank and quite frankly putting netting on top of a rimless tank ruins the "rimless look" so I think I'm going with a canopy. And it seems that the bean style overflow is going to be the route that I choose. I need to find out if i want starphire or not but after that i should be able to put the order in. I plan to install the overflow myself using plate glass. I also want to find out how I can make the stand a little deeper (back to front) because since the bean overflow require about 6 inches in the back of the tank I want to try and take advantge of building that size intot the usable space underneath.

reeferman

great build Bryan!sweeet sump/fuge.i would only go 24" on the height as said before.im 6'2" and my armpit is right at the water surface when im at the bottom furthest point and lets face it,nobody wants you walking around without deodorant on!im pretty sure Right Guard isnt reef safe!
as far as the back of the stand,build it to what size you need and add support across the back of where the tank rests and on both ends of the horizontal supports,put vertical supports.thats how i built mine,heres a pic,you can see the stand extends past the tank platform.the support i speak of is under the back of the plywood.
e498b299.jpg

look on the inside of the stand and you will see the vertical support,its just a piece of the plywood cut to fit under the horizontal support,glued and screwed.
f19f977a.jpg

heres another where you see the opening.just be sure not to put it over your door as you NEED to support it.you can also see that the front plywood is doubled up,that allows me to span without using a center brace.center braces on your stand only get it the way!
f4b0ff8f.jpg

sorry i have no pics of the actual area but they werent sexy,nobody wants to see supports!hahaha

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
For far too long I've been standing in the water just before the point where it gets "too cold" (you guys know what I mean).......and I finally dove in!
Spoke with Derek@Miracles today and ordered the tank:
- 3 sides starphire, 4'x2'x2'
- internal overflow with 3 holes (herbie drain)
- eurobraced top
- 6 week build time

And on sunday I'm meeting with a cabinet maker who is making my stand and canopy - this lad does exceptional work. And the electrician is coming Monday to wire my "fish wall"!

It's just money right?

PS - I'm getting engagement pics tomorrow and she is so excited.......great timing to drop the price tag on her - she took it "OK".

:) :) :)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Excellent news on the new "Order". That's one of the most eye pleasing sizes/footprint at least to my eyes.

I may have missed it but what height are you going to make the top of the stand? I had mine built just a few inches taller than most others and honestly almost everyone commented on how well "Centered" my tank was in height. I got more compliments on height than anything else and it was nice for me (6'4") to not be looking at the top brace of the tank every time I looked at the tank. I "think" my stand height was 42".

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Thanks Guys!

Good questions Allen.......I have my wall at home all "painter taped" up as we are trying to figure that out (hell if you're paying for custom then get custom!) I do think the standard is a little low at 36 but I only have 84 total to work with (that area is dropped a foot on the ceiling) so i'm looking into it. The canopy won't upwards rather the front door will open for access.

Design to come this weekend

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Just git an email from Jeff at Lifereef and my filter cylinders are ready to ship. I got 3 cylinders for media that will be supplied by a mag 7 pump.

I'm getting closer to the time where I need to make a decision on the lights so hopefully the vega's come out so I can get a review!

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Stage 1 is complete - 47 minutes from an electrician and the outlets are installed!

20A breaker with 1 GFCI and 2 standards:
outlets.jpg

Yesterday I met with the stand maker........should have that in about 2 weeks. The tank is about 6 or so weeks out so hopefully i'll be all ready to go when the tank comes in. Also, my filter cylinders from lifereef are shipping tomorrow so the "underneath" of the tank will be ready to roll.

Finally getting excited about getting this show on the road!

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Thanks Stretch - I just hope all the pieces fit together once it is said and done - tough to put it all together "virtually"

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Now ur talking. I was starting to think it was never gonna start! Congrats buddy on everything.

I'm Matt n I hate heaters.