Bryan's 120 Reef

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Thanks Mike! His name is Christian :)

I'm pen to ship some frags although timing will vary (I need to work from home that day to send them). I just traded frags with Jeremy from exotic frags so I have a cooler. PM me and let me know what you're interested in.

Mike Johnson

Hey, Daddy, what's the acro in post #461, 3rd photo, upper left? Love that one. Really, I'm not kidding about one of each. Hopefully we can work something out. I'll PM you. If you remember I lost all my acros about 6 months ago when the controller and heater both malfunctioned. I'm finally setting up my new frag tank, too. I'm not in a big hurry. Hopefully, by the end of June?

ReefingFun

Just for you Maya!

FTS:
CEA33DE8-B195-4165-B71C-ABBBA8615E80-16343-0000082A238A9295_zps55b2ee5c.jpg

Very very nice tank, congratz!
My gf would like to know what the name of that pink fish is, if you don't mind?(The one left under your frags) She saw it in another tank over here, but the owner didn't know what the name of it was...

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Gorgeous !

Very very nice tank, congratz!
My gf would like to know what the name of that pink fish is, if you don't mind?(The one left under your frags) She saw it in another tank over here, but the owner didn't know what the name of it was...

If I have the right one that's a purple firefish. He was beat up when I got him, really bad intestinal worms but now he is doing great! My oldest fish at 3 years old.

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Thanks guys, I appreciate the comments! Tanks really look better once the corals grow in and it gives that natural reef look and that's where I'm at now, even the fish act differently.

I have a fairly standard setup - skimmer, carbon - run WM bio pellets, canister with matrix in it and kalk +2 in my ato. The bps are fairly new. I dose alk on Wednesdays as my small ca reactor doesn't do it all..... Gives me a reason to test! I dose off and on some amino acids but I don't think it does anything. 2 gen 2 radions for lighting and I use seachems "salinity" salt for water changes.

I owe a lot of what my tank looks lik to Reggie (Reeferman) as he has helped me tremendously over the past two years...... Best wisdom "patience son ;)"

Well you've done an incredible job with it :) I seriously am in love with some of the colours you're getting on your acros and the mix of colours too! Patience is definitely key, especially if you're after colour and happiness like that! 10 months and I'm starting to get some really nice colours so your tank is a huge inspiration for me :)

How is the colouration on the underside of your acro's with the led's?? :)

Last edited by a moderator:

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Thanks Dom! I really try to keep the color mix eye appealing and am always on the lookout for "that" coral :). I'm a sucker for the high end, named ones, they seem to be true to form. I wanna start experimenting with different wild species from DD but haven't done so yet. I've been told that if you want color, reproduce NSW levels...... Higher levels get better growth but less color. Not sure if its true but it's working!

The undersides are a light grey and white mixture. It colors up though when fragged and exposed to light.

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Thanks Dom! I really try to keep the color mix eye appealing and am always on the lookout for "that" coral :). I'm a sucker for the high end, named ones, they seem to be true to form. I wanna start experimenting with different wild species from DD but haven't done so yet. I've been told that if you want color, reproduce NSW levels...... Higher levels get better growth but less color. Not sure if its true but it's working!

The undersides are a light grey and white mixture. It colors up though when fragged and exposed to light.

You're doing well, it's very appealing to look at! :D You and I both, if it's named or got some fame (that rhymes :p lol) I do tend to get a little suckered in haha which is what's happening with the monti's I'm getting soon but it's always good to have a few or lots of really nice show pieces. With wild acro's you'll have to be prepared for a whole lot of nothing for around a month. Half my acro's are wild caught due to my lfs being a huge sps and acro person (which is awesome!), when you first get them they usually fade a little and certain aspects can disappear. One of mine, a mauve-y purple-ly acro had these beautiful bright green rings just around the polyps in the lfs tanks and they have been gone since the guy was added to my tank about 2-3 months ago and is now only just starting to have those rings colour up again :) It happens that way with a lot of my wild acro's but eventually they become beautiful as they adjust, I also use NSW too and keep my parameters closer to natural levels too, which means slightly lower growth rates but I'm really starting to get some amazing colours and happy corals :) I could bump them up and a bit to get more growth but I'm getting decent growth as it is and I would hate to sacrifice the colours!
Wild species are definitely worth a shot because they usually turn out to be even better than you think and when you first get them! Even the unsuspecting ones can become mind blowing!

Same in my tank under led's :) Glad to see your's which are so amazing react the same as mine, always reassuring comparing notes :)

reeferman

Thanks guys, I appreciate the comments! Tanks really look better once the corals grow in and it gives that natural reef look and that's where I'm at now, even the fish act differently.

I have a fairly standard setup - skimmer, carbon - run WM bio pellets, canister with matrix in it and kalk +2 in my ato. The bps are fairly new. I dose alk on Wednesdays as my small ca reactor doesn't do it all..... Gives me a reason to test! I dose off and on some amino acids but I don't think it does anything. 2 gen 2 radions for lighting and I use seachems "salinity" salt for water changes.

I owe a lot of what my tank looks lik to Reggie (Reeferman) as he has helped me tremendously over the past two years...... Best wisdom "patience son ;)"

you give me waaay too much credit bud,.its Bryans world,i just live in it!
seriously,if theres a tank worthy of totm,its yours.i know we speak almost daily but it never gets old!youre one of the good ones bro.
you can give a lot of people advice but you actually took my advice and implemented it to perfection,its so gratifying when a plan comes together :)
you did all the work,i just pointed you in a direction.spectacular stony reef!

Choff

Palmer's blue is stunning in person. I have a frag and it has become my favorite coral.

The thing about Reggie's corals are not only are they beautiful, they are hardy. Last fall when I had a cfl bulb fall into my sump and leach nastiness into my water exactly 3 out of 30+ SPS survived. Those 3 I had just gotten from Bryan a weeks prior. Still have them. If I can't kill em...

I'd give Bryan tank of the year. The guy just does everything right.

...stupid auto correct

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Reg, just because the Braves stink........

Home grown, generational corals seem to do really well when they go to other tanks. I've seen corals that just brown right out the second they go into the frag bag but I seem to have good luck with the holding color that's for sure.

Soon Mike, your tank will be a sparkling gem I know it - too awesome of a setup for it not to work!

StirCrayzy

You know, this hobby is actually more like a mentoring program.
More giving and kinship than many charities I've volunteered with!

:thumbup:

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Wow....5 months since I posted to this!!

Just thought i'd share a pick of some recent frag cut:

My corals are definitely in their mature stage and I have to cut them all the time - i have a hard time getting rid of them :)

Think it's time for a bigger tank. I'm going to do a little redesign in the next coming week and see what kind of space I can create - I'll post some better pics and maybe a video after .

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
So pretty & healthy - very nice Bryan !!! If I lived near Maine & needed some sps corals, you sure would not have a hard time getting rid of them ;)

just lovely !!!

+1 on the bigger tank :)

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Absolutely gorgeous Bryan :O :D :yup: Those frags are incredible!! Looking forward to the vid and new plans :)