Bryan's 120 Reef

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
OK guys I have a few questions that I would like your feedback on. I spoke with Derek and there is a 7-8 week lead time on building the tank so I need to get the tank ordered.

Tank Height - I want to keep the footprint the same (48x24) but I can add some height. How tall would you go? How high is too high from your experience? Originally i was 24 tall. Suggestions?

2nd is hole size.......I think I going to do 2 drains and 1 return. What hole sizes would you use? the return pump is a mag 12 that will also feed the refugium so the flow will be a little less.

Thanks guys!

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
I'm a big fan of height for a dt just expensive to light. 30"

Woohoo Matt has tapatalk back

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I'll be using the radions so would they still work for the 30 deep? I would think so.

dmatt88

I'm sure you will b fine. Sure radions? Curious.

steved13

PREMIUM
I'm the opposite I hate height, much harder to work on/in, makes everything a long reach. My tank is 27" and I wish it were shorter.

dmatt88

I believe my bulkhead drain is 1" and that seems standard. 3/4 inch returns standard as well. Matt

Built347

I have all 2" drains and 1" returns... I only put 1 drain on everything though.. Thinking about it now I wish I had done 2 drains just in case..

Sent from my BatPhone using Tapatalk

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I was thinking of having 2 - 1.5 inch drains and then a 1 inch return. Do you guys think that would work? Any potential issues?

Good news though......the sump and all the fixings are scheduled to be delivered tomorrow!!! Now I just need a tank and a stand hahaha

I would go 1.5" drains and 1" return at least. It's easier to downsize the bulkhead with a bushing than making the hole bigger.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Well part 1 of many has arrived! My sump is in and I think Jeff @ Lifereef did a fine job. The 3 filter cylinders are on backorder but should be in soon but it is not a big deal since i won't be using it yet. I ordered a semi custom sump (2 inches longer than his standard) with an 18 inch refugium. It comes with all the pumps and plumbing necessary and also has a skimmer to go with (I ordered the larger skimmer cup).

sump4.jpg

I really like the refugium, it is blacked out on three sides to hold the light and it is supplied by an offshoot from the return though a perimiter spray bar and then it is reconnected to the return on the way out:
sump1.jpg

The biggest piece i had problems with was the drain sizes....as you can see from the pics below, the drains are built into the sump. I had Jeff make them at 1.5 inches but i only plan to use 1 inche drains. What I am doing is having the tank drilled for 1.5 inch drains and i will reduce that to 1 inch for the piping......and i will plan to use the in sump 1.5 drains as "guides" to run the 1 inch drains through (pipe or hose, not sure yet). This way i don't have to "hardwire" anything to the sump itself and it still allows me to upgrade to 1.5 inch drains in the future if I want. I'm doing a herbie drain so I have a slot for both drains. Do you guys see any issues with this? Thoughts?

sump3.jpg

dmatt88

Bryan things look awesome. Nice build dude. Bravo!

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Thanks guys! I'm happy with what I got..... Moving on to the tank order. I think I'm going to build the stand myself.

Sweet! Looks like a nice setup Bryan, can't wait to see it wet! If you have the skills, you will be much happier with building the stand yourself.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Well considering the glass thickness and the fact that the perimeter brace will only allow the water to go up so far (inch below the top), the standard 24 tall give me about 108 gallons (assuming water only fills to 23 inches). I think I'm going to do 26 or 27 inches which gives me 118 gallons in the tank (pre rock and sand). The sump holds 9 gallons at operational level and the refugium holds 16 so all in I'll have 143 gallons at 26 inches and 148 at 27 inches before i start to add rock and sand. I'm going to measure my arm and do a dry run to see if 26 or 27 works better.....don't need my armpit in the tank when i'm placing corals on the bottom!