BRS Deluxe reactor on RSM250

mike1970

I just installed a delux BRS reactor on my RSM 250. I had a small hair algae bloom. Right now I'm running 1 cup of ROX 0.8 and a 1/2 cup of gfo. So if anyone wants to know if it will work it does. you will need a few extra items 4 x elbows some tubing and a Syncra 1.5 pump this pump fits in the media chamber nicely everything cost about $250.00 with the GFO and the carbon setup took me about 30min. So let's see how this setup works. I'll try to keep this updated :)

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Very nice & the BRS ROX carbon & gfo is the best you can get !

Be sure to tumble the gfo gently :clownfish: so it won't break down.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I think that's great ! Better than CPE - just tumble it gently, gfo can break down & harm corals, if it's not tumbled "gently" - I would love to have this setup but am "mod challenged" :winky:

mike1970

no real moding I just put the pump in the rear chamber and off we go :guns:I'm running the GFO/Carbon the BRS way mixing both together no tumbling with full flow through the reactor:dance:

mike1970

Ok it's been 1 week my hair algae is gone the water is crystal clear I just cleaned the glass it took a week to get a light dusting. it's working really well even mixing the carbon with the gfo I was kind of a sceptic of this but I guess it works:bounce: I would recommend this setup if you are having a phosphate problem WOW!! what a difference.

Last edited:

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Today I ordered some of the BRS high capacity GFO.
I plan on putting it my BRS Single Reactor as soon as it arrives.
I've never used it or the reactor.
I'm thinking it MIGHT help with my Bryopsis situation.
Trying to read threads about success/fails using BRS GFO....
Should I just leave my CPE in place while running the GFO?
:dunno: :ponder2: ....any other suggestions to do before I try this?
Thanks @mike1970 for starting this thread. :thumber2:

mike1970

remove as much hair algae you can by hand. you can also raise your MAG. up to 1600ppm (there are articles on this method) they say this will help also. I took the CPE out. I use 1 cup of ROX 0.8 carbon and 1/2 cup of high capacity GFO mixed (don't tumble) just sandwich between the 2 sponges you get with the reactor. this works well for me, i change it every 2 weeks and did 10gal water change every week i've been bryopsis free since then.

Last edited:

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
remove as much hair algae you can by hand. you can also raise your MAG. up to 1600ppm (there are articles on this method) they say this will help also. I took the CPE out. I use 1 cup of ROX 0.8 carbon and 1/2 cup of high capacity GFO mixed (don't tumble) just sandwich between the 2 sponges you get with the reactor. this works well for me, i change it every 2 weeks and did 10gal water change every week i've been bryopsis free since then.

Thanks Mike!! That sounds like a great plan, GIVES ME HOPE :thumbup:
I've been adding very small doses of Kent Tech-M daily and my BRS order should be here next week. :yeehoo:

prestofish

Hey there Mike, I know this is a little bit of an old post but it came up when I was looking for a solution to put the BRS Carbon/GFO deluxe reactor into my RSM 250 setup. Everything I've seen thus far had it setup in an in-cabinet sump, which I do not have. Could you elaborate on how you have the reactor in your media chamber, if you had to mount it any special way or if it is just sitting in there on top of the pump. Also, you mentioned needing extra elbows? Do you remember which ones you needed and how you had to use them to get it to work in the RSM 250? Is it worth paying 2-3x for the Sicce 1.5 vs the MJ1200 that they bundle the deluxe reactor with?

I'm dealing with some phosphate probs, been using CPE up until now but its only 1.5 months in and I'm trying for a little more budget-friendly Carbon/GFO option for the long-run. A reactor seemed to be the best way, but I don't have much room to do a 'hang on back' option where the fans are. And I'd rather not mount it to the wall outside of the tank. I thought about doing it in-cabinet but then the water pumps out and down and back up, not sure how much head pressure that would take. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

prestofish

Also, kind of a tangent but I saw you had pics for a Deltec MC 500, which is apparently discontinued. Are there any other suggested replacement skimmers for the stock RSM250 skimmer that you are aware of? Everything I search for suggests the MC 500, but those posts are 3+ yrs old.

mike1970

Also, kind of a tangent but I saw you had pics for a Deltec MC 500, which is apparently discontinued. Are there any other suggested replacement skimmers for the stock RSM250 skimmer that you are aware of? Everything I search for suggests the MC 500, but those posts are 3+ yrs old.
I got mine (MC500) from marine depot in the beginning of the year they might be working on a new/better model. Their are 2 skimmers I know of that fit in the skimmer chaimber of the RSM250 the tunze 9004 and a reef octopuse I forget witch model but someone posted it in here BH50 I think this is the one

Last edited:

prestofish

Thanks Mike. Any chance at getting a look of some pics of how you have the reactor installed and which elbows are needed? Trying to decide whether to pick one up while they still have their Thanksgiving weekend specials.

mike1970

I got the delux reactor with 4 x elbows, 10ft of tubing and The syncra 1.5 pump. This pump fits in the media chaimber and works well with the head pressure. I'll post some pics of my setup tonight

prestofish

One more question Mike, how do you route your plumbing for your setup to/from the tank? Through the fan port or all through the accessory port on the right?

mike1970

I took off the skimmer flap and routed the outlet pump from the top of the media chamber and back into the left side where the fans go:walking: